I remembered the pretense of a kiss on our wedding day, a staged display for everyone to witness our apparent happiness. Looking back, I was relieved that it had not been a real kiss. Truth was, I hadn't felt the way I was feeling now.

I almost chuckled, remembering how my mother had scolded me for my apparent carelessness that day. Sharp and discerning, she had sensed the pretense. Her eagle eyes had caught the lie of our mouths moving against each other's skin instead of our lips actually locking.

She had never had any affection for Reva and disliked the idea of her as a daughter-in-law. But her objections were rooted more in fear of social judgment and potential scandal than in personal feelings.

During this lecture, my mother, never one to mince words, insisted that if I had decided to marry that stupid girl for real, I should act like a man and stand by my decision. A stern warning, a reminder of the consequences that could result if I didn't handle my decisions and actions with the utmost responsibility.

Because God forbid people talked about me the way they did about Dalrae or write about our wedding as a scandal in their damn articles.

Now, that stupid girl was lying next to me, an arm and a leg draped over my body. Her skin radiated warmth, and the rhythmic beating of her heart against my ribs made me want to pull her even closer as if she could disappear in the blink of an eye. In the past few weeks, I had gone crazy, finding it almost unbearable to lie next to her without being able to hold her. But now I could freely act on that wish without worrying that she'd find it weird or unwelcome.

We had made love throughout the night, losing count of the times we fell asleep and woke up to little intimate touches. My body displayed a stamina I never knew it possessed, despite the fatigue that settled deep into my bones from lack of sleep. Still, everything felt perfect just the way it was, and I wouldn't change a thing, even if we were probably surrounded by crumbs of chips we'd devoured during a movie at 4 in the morning.

Reva stirred from her sleep, her hand trailing from my chest to my stomach in a lazy grace. Unbeknownst to her, her touch ignited a burst of goosebumps on my skin, proof of the explosive fire she caused.

A soft laugh escaped my lips, and in response, a gentle tremor shook her head on my chest, causing a sleepy groan. While my heart craved to draw her closer, I cherished the breath of life within me and chose instead to caress her bare back with gentle strokes, soothing her with hushed whispers.

With contented sighs, she urged me to continue. "Good morning," I murmured in her ear, her gaze meeting mine after moments of cuddles. The delicate curve of her smile, a mix of exhaustion and ethereal beauty, left me momentarily speechless. "Sleep well?"

She took her time to answer, stretching and straightening her tired limbs before resting her hand on my chest and placing her chin on that hand as she peered into my soul. "Could have been better," she admitted with a casual shrug. "Your body's as comfortable as a rock from the Grand Canyon."

A chuckle escaped me, reflected in the playful glint in her eyes. "Of course," I quipped with a wink. "I work hard in the gym. Besides, it's only fitting for a man who wants to be strong for his wife."

I raised my arm in a casual flex, showcasing my biceps, half expecting Reva to appreciate the display. Instead, her playful eye roll signaled a shift in her intentions, and her hand slid across my chest, tracing the contours of my stomach.

"Yes, it is," she grinned, her touch sparking a wildfire of hunger in me.

With a quick move, she straddled me, her warmth enveloping me like a summer breeze. My hands instinctively found their place at her waist, enjoying the softness of her skin beneath my fingertips.