Home Sweet Home

Once Anastasia got off, my brother and I, plus Julius (always hangs around), got to our new place. Our parents were already hauling in stuff, and Nathan and Julius jumped right off to lend a hand. I hung back, taking my time. Facing my folks was the last thing I wanted; they just have this way of making me feel out of place.

Nathan: Hey Mom, what's up? Hey Dad, need some help?

Julius: Hey there, Mr. and Mrs. Williams! How's it going ?

Mr. Williams: Hey, son, yeah, we could definitely use a hand. How about you and Julius get the couch out of the U-Haul?

Julius: Oh man, I'm so hungry.

Mrs. Williams: No worries, Julius, I had a hunch you'd swing by. I've got your favorite pot roast, roasted buns, and peach cobbler for dinner and dessert.

Julius: Let's hustle with this couch, I'm staying  here tonight.

Nathan: Haha, you crack me up, dude.

Mr. Williams: Hang on, where's Katy?

Nathan: Oh, she might've left something on the bus. I'll go check.

Nathan dashes back to the bus and sees me already heading toward the door.

Nathan: You alright, sis?

Katy: Yeah, just feeling a bit anxious. You know how Mom and Dad can be.

Nathan: Don't worry, little sis. I've got your back. They won't spoil the start of your summer, promise.

Katy: Thanks, big bro. Could you help me with these stairs?

Nathan: Of course, hand over your backpack.

As Nathan assists Katy down the stairs, their dad calls out, "Hey, son, let's get a move on with the sofa. Looks like rain's on the way; the sky's getting cloudy."

Nathan replies, "Just a sec, Dad. I'm helping Katy."

Dad responds, "She got herself into that mess, she can get herself out."

Katy, with tears in her eyes, gently pushes Nathan away as they reach the bottom stair and dashes inside without saying anything to her parents.

Nathan: Ugh ! Look what you did, Dad! Give her a damn break, okay? She's dealing with bullies at school, and then she comes home to you and Mom hounding her ass all day! She hasn't even opened up about how she got pregnant or who the father is, and I'm not making things worse for her, am I?

Nathan: Come on, Julius, let's leave them with the couch and go check on Katy.

Julius: Okay.

Mr. Williams: *Angrily* Get your ass back here and help us!

Nathan: *scoffs* Piss off, jerk.

Mrs. Williams: *shocked* Nathan, how dare you!

Nathan: How dare I? How dare YOU! Let a man who's not even our real father speak to Katy that way!

Mrs. Williams goes silent and Nathan and Julius walk into the house, calling out for Katy. They can hear her weeping from upstairs. They walk up and find her in a room down a hallway, away from the others.

Julius: Hey Katy, are you alright? We came to check on you.

Nathan: Yeah, baby sis, don't let him get you all riled up. They just don't understand right now, but it doesn't give them the right to put you down.

Katy: I know, I'm just so embarrassed and tired. I feel so defeated. Why do they hate me so much? They don't even know what happened.

Nathan: *sighs* I don't know, sis. Can you maybe tell us? What happened?

Katy: *cries harder* No! I can never tell! Ever! Now just leave me alone, please.

Nathan: Okay, sis. Call us if anything. We're heading to play basketball. We love you.

Julius: Yeah, we'll be right back, lil sis.

Katy hops up and hugs Nathan and Julius.

Katy: I love you guys too.

Nathan and Julius head out to shoot hoops, and I'm left alone in this silent room, my mind racing about my future with the little one on the way. I'm a mix of nerves and excitement, yet there's this sweet thought that soon, there'll be this tiny person who'll love me unconditionally.

An hour later, I blinked awake on the coziest bed imaginable, feeling totally bewildered. Glancing around, I noticed the room was fully decked out—there was a nightstand to my left, a bassinet to my right, and a dresser under a wall-mounted TV, with a closet brimming with my outfits and tiny baby clothes. I was overwhelmed with gratitude but still couldn't piece together how it all  got here.