Chapter 21

Every Rose Has Its Thorn

You're back. Your lungs deflated in a heavy, foggy, sigh as you stood there in front of the headquarters gates. Watching the young man, son of the driver of the carriage, loading off your things and bags. While an awkward silence, more than the silence you had to endure on your way back here, was stretching between you and the person standing next to you.

Levi Ackerman.

You took off after midnight from Wall Sina, and now it was nearing midday as you've just arrived a few minutes ago. None of you spoke. Not Erwin to you, not him to Levi, and not Levi to any of you. It was, in fact, deadly awkward. But what made it go easier, and helped ease that anxiety away, was Erwin's hand in yours. Almost the whole way back, he did not let go of you. And neither did you. Your fingers stayed intertwined with his, and your head rested over his shoulder the entire journey. It was clear to you that Levi did not approve of the idea you and Erwin spent time together away from the palace. Maybe he thought it very disrespectful, maybe a distraction, maybe he simply hates you and doesn't want you near Erwin. But he was obviously mad at you both. You figured that, and Erwin knew as well, but like always, he brushed it away. And that idea gave you a little peace of mind. Thinking that there's nothing to worry about when it comes to Levi, as long as Erwin is around, you'll be okay.

But now he's not here next to you, but already gone inside the headquarters with captain Hange who greeted you once you all arrived. And left only Levi behind to inspect the load off and pay the driver. It was quiet all around, a few scouts would pass by, a few eyes would glance at you. Not Levi, not the carriage, just you. And they'll carry on. Snow still buried half of the grounds. And the skies were still as gloomy and grey as you left them.

Nothing changed, and yet, everything has changed...

"No!" You hear Levi almost snap at the man, who stops immediately and looks at Levi next to you. Eyes puzzled. You gain your focus back from your thoughts into the present and frown at them both. Levi nods to the bag the man is carrying, and you recognize it as yours. "That one doesn't belong with the rest." Then his glaring eyes give you a glance, and he nods at the bag wordlessly. As if telling you to go on ahead and take it.

"Y-Yes, sir." You move quickly, boots almost tripping over the snow as you bend to take your luggage.

"I can carry it for you, miss." The young man gives you a slight smile. He seems polite. Cheeks flushed and eyes too shy to meet yours. "Just point me the direction and-"

"Oh, no, really-"

Levi cuts your conversation off with him clearing his throat. "That won't be necessary."

You look at him to see his glare intensifying. As if his patience is running thin already. "She's a trained scout, Malcolm. I'm sure carrying her own bag back to her room won't be a trouble!"

Fucking asshole...

"Of course." You say, smiling coldly back at Levi, then nod in thanks to the young man and you lift your bag. "Thanks anyway." You whisper to him and start to turn. Walking in the direction of the path that leads you back to the girls barracks.

There's this feeling again, the trick time plays on you. Like it had been ages since the last time you've been here. Not only one week and a half. The last time you were in your barracks, the last time you saw any of your friends, was the time Ymer sat down and confronted you about your... status, with commander Erwin. Before you trying to kiss him, before Levi's arrest, before spending a week in a cell, before Hina's threats and before your trip to Wall Sina and before... his kiss.