Alex

10:26 pm

When Alex came to, Henry was still asleep. Alex had his legs wrapped around Henry's hips, and his arms were around him too. Henry had a hold on him too, but it wasn't too strong that Alex was trapped.

Alex checked his phone's clock. Of course it was before midnight. He wondered what would happen if he just stayed here. His last memory would be holding Henry. However, that would mean Henry would wake up and realize he had been cuddling a dead body. Alex didn't want to do that to Henry.

Alex kissed his cheek. "See you in the next life," he whispered. He slowly climbed out of Henry's arms. Henry made a displeased noise, which broke Alex's heart. He was tempted to just climb back in and stay with Henry. No. Don't do that to him.

Alex exited the room. He started to make his way down the hall. "Where are you going?" Ellen asked.

There was no point in lying. "Anywhere but here," Alex answered. "It's going to happen soon, and I don't want anyone to see it."

"Everything outside is a threat," Ellen said.

"Everything inside is a threat too," Alex responded. "I'm not safe anywhere. I'm a ticking time bomb. I don't know how it's going to happen, and I don't want it to cause it to hurt anyone."

"Alex..."

"I don't want to, but it's what I have to do," Alex said. For the first time today, tears started to fall from his eyes. "I don't want do die."

Ellen pulled Alex in for a hug. Ellen just gently rubbed her back. She was quiet. What could she even say in this situation? It's not like there's any words that she could say to comfort him. All promises he'll be okay would be lies.

"I'm scared," Alex said.

"I know, baby," Ellen whispered. "I know."

After a few minutes, Ellen broke the hug. "Let's go talk in the kitchen," Ellen suggested. "This might be the kind of conversation we needs drinks for."

"That would be nice," Alex said. "I love you, mom."

"I love you more," Ellen said. They took the stares since it was closer than the elevator.

They were on the second step from the top when Alex slipped.