Engagement

Author's Note:

When Can proposed to Sanem on his birthday.

~ ~ ~

Can could not believe his luck. The mystery woman he kissed in the dark on Fikri Harika's 40th Anniversary celebration, is now his fiancée. He loved her so much, that sometimes he had difficulty expressing it in words.

She was such a bright person, so beautiful, talented, loving and caring. Every time she walked into a room; she brightened it up just a little more. He had told her once; that her beautiful smile could ruin a man! He was so ruined...

She taught her how to love, how to forgive, and how to be a better man. She was the one who convinced him to give Huma a second chance. He was very skeptical when she suddenly reappeared in his life after years of being MIA! Just to make his beloved happy, he decided to not create a scene on his birthday. He didn't trust that woman at all... he didn't even want to call her 'Anne' because she never behaved like a mother towards him. He knew she had ulterior motives so he just decided to keep his eyes and ears open and observe. He knew Sanem was such a pure-hearted person herself, that she couldn't possibly understand what a conniving person Huma could be!

Sanem told him later that Huma Hanim had asked her to forego their plan of celebrating his birthday alone because Huma was not there for so many of them...

He would have definitely preferred having Sanem to himself, but yet again, he realised his beloved was so kind, her heart just melted when she heard a mother wanting to be with her son on his birthday. If he had known about it beforehand, he would have rolled his eyes and steered Sanem far away from Huma!

Instead of Sanem, his mother and Polen organised the party and invited all his old friends. That, in itself, was proof of how well both those women knew him! They didn't even invite Metin and Akif – the two people he was closest to! Polen only knew of his friends in London, so she chose to invite them. Huma barely knew Can herself, how would she know who he would have liked to celebrate his special day with?

He noticed how Huma and Polen tried every possible thing to make Sanem feel embarrassed or ashamed of who she was... but she won all his friends over with her open and honest personality. His heart was bursting with pride for this beautiful girl – so kind, so pure and so genuine. She didn't pretend to be anything she wasn't. He was enjoying seeing all of Huma and Polen's little digs backfiring spectacularly.

When it was time for the gifts, she showed him the scrapbook she made with all the beautiful photos and memories of both of them, he was just speechless. No one had given him such a meaningful gift, ever! She put so much effort and love into that little book, it touched his heart. Just a few minutes before, he had hugged Nihat and Mevkibe for their heart-warmingly beautiful gift of the moonstones.

Proposing to her was a sudden decision on his part. He had been carrying the ring he made, out of the broken white moonstone, in his pocket for a while, thinking of the perfect time to pop the question. Today, he decided, he would go for it – she surprised him today, it was his turn to surprise her.

He shot a quick glance towards Nihat and showed him the little box to ask for permission silently. He had his back to Sanem so she couldn't see what went on between the two men she loved the most in this world. Once Nihat gave him the go-ahead, he turned towards Sanem.

She put both hands on her mouth when she saw what he had in his hands. Her eyes went wide as saucers.

"Kalbim, diğer yarım, her şeyim (my heart, my other half, my everything) ... will you marry me?"

Sanem was stunned! She was not expecting this. She couldn't believe he would propose to her. She was scared after his last proposal and all the issues they went through; she thought it would take him a long time to even think about proposing. She quickly looked at her father and he smiled and nodded at her. She knew he would approve. After all, she had already told him that she had found the man who would protect her during the thunderstorms.