Chapter 5

I couldn't afford my mom's burial, so we decided to cremate her. At least this way, I could still keep her close in our house. The days were heavy, but I needed to move forward. I was left alone, and though I needed to stand on my feet, every time I tried, I kept falling.

"Mom?" I cried while looking at the jar containing her ashes. "Can I just come with you?" Tears streamed down my face, and I couldn't hold them back. I couldn't pretend to be strong anymore.

I felt weak.

"Mom, just take me with you." I closed my eyes, hugging myself as I let the tears flow. My heart ached from all the pain and problems weighing me down. Why did God choose me to be His strongest soldier this year? I didn't want to be strong anymore. I wanted to give up, but I knew Mom wouldn't be proud if I did.

"Becky?" I heard Freen knocking on the door. "It's me, Freen. Are you okay? It's been three days since you last attended the session."

I wiped my eyes and slowly opened the door. Freen was still as vibrant as ever. Her presence made me feel safe just by seeing her. I didn't know what was in her, and how she could make me feel comfortable.

"My mom's gone." I smiled bitterly with swollen eyes. "You should go back now."

I tried to close the door, but Freen stopped me. She entered the house and saw how wasted I was. Her normal vibrant presence turned into sympathy. I could see the sadness in her eyes and how much she wanted to comfort me. However, even though she would do that, nothing good would happen.

"Do you need someone to talk to?" Freen asked, closing the door as she followed me.

I sat on the bed and shook my head. "I don't want to speak with anyone else." I was afraid that if I did, I might burst out.

Freen sighed and sat behind me. She leaned on me, making our heads touch. "Then don't talk. I'll just stay here until you get better."

My heart warmed at what she said. I wondered how she coped after losing her father. Perhaps, she was doing this for me because no one did it for her, and she knew what it felt like.

I felt at ease having her around. Even if she wasn't comforting me with words, her presence was enough.

"Freen," I began without moving. "How did you move on?"

"You can't move on from this kind of pain, Becky. Losing a parent is a permanent pain. You just need to pretend you're fine even though you're not," Freen sighed. "I wish you can handle it. Because the last time I felt that, I almost gave up."

"But you didn't," I told her.

"Why would I give up? Especially now that I have people around me? Who loves and cares for me." Freen turned and faced me, wearing her smile again. Were those smiles real, or was she faking them to make me feel at ease? "If you think you don't have anyone right now, you have me. I know we just met, but talk to me about your problems. It's not hard to listen, Bec. I'd rather listen to you all day than cry at your funeral." She chuckled and smiled at me.

She was right, though.

"Anyway, how did you come here?" I asked, furrowing her brows.

Freen grinned and laughed. "I asked my uncle where your address was since you're not going to Emily's anymore. I started to get worried, and then I heard nearby that your mother passed away. I hurriedly came here to check on you."

"You didn't have to do that. I feel like a burden on you." I looked away and sighed.

Freen gently lifted my chin and made me face her. She smiled genuinely and looked me in the eyes intently. "You're a sweet burden, so I won't mind." She tucked the remaining hair behind my ear and wiped my eyes. "Don't cry now. Let's go somewhere. I know a place."

Freen pulled me, and we rode on her motorcycle. She took me to the old bridge past the Town Hall. Since it was old, no one passed through it anymore, but you could still see the gushing water from the river underneath. It was so peaceful.

"I used to come here when I'm sad. Before, I wanted to jump off because I didn't want to live anymore. However, I was afraid that I might drown." She giggled. "I didn't want to die in water. It's my biggest nightmare—drowning."

"Isn't that the reason why you're still alive today?" I jeered.

"Of course not." Freen smiled and leaned on the railings. "I am strong; that's why I'm alive."

"Then what will happen to those who are weak? Like me?" I asked, tilting my head, waiting for her explanation.

"You're an Armstrong, Rebecca. Give justice to your name." Freen rolled her eyes and looked at the sky. "Isn't it so peaceful?" She closed her eyes and let the fresh air touch her face.

I looked at her and smiled a bit. How could this person keep staying positive amidst all the problems? What's her motivation for living?

"Don't you think it's beautiful?" Freen asked, turning to me. "Or am I the only one enjoying the view?"

"No, it's fine." I chuckled awkwardly.

"What view do you want to see? I can take you there," Freen offered.

"I like my view already, Freen." I smiled while looking at her. "It's beautiful." You're beautiful. Inside and out. How could I ever repay you for helping me this time?

"You're beautiful too, Bec." Freen whispered and averted her gaze, then turning around. "I wish you could see yourself from my point of view."