Chapter 14: The Lion's Den Part 2

Messina 1411

Laughter rang from the King and the nobles joined in immediately like well-trained parrots. The Moran stood amidst the pack of hyenas surrounded by undefined mirth.

"You continue to insult me, Hertog. Is that how your king treats his friends or am I beneath you as well? Perhaps that is the message that you're here to deliver: that our alliance has come to an end."

The Duke's eyes narrowed. Before another word could be said, King Linnaeus walked up the steps to the throne. What followed was measured silence as though the King was daring the next person to speak. He sat down on his throne, crossed his legs without a care in the world. "I heard that even King Maximilian does not know the faces of his guardians. He buys the lives of those who would sacrifice their lives for his with promises to elevate their station."

"Unheard of!" The court jeered. "Nobility cannot be bought."

The King leaned forward. "Answer me, Hertog."

"You did not ask a question."

The King's elbows pressed against his knees, thinking. "Have you seen the faces underneath those hoods?"

"To see a Moran is to die."

Blue eyes, deep and calculating, narrowed. "Are you threatening me, Hertog?"

"It is their vow." The Hertog said, no attempt to hide his amusement at the momentary lowering of voices. "Remove their covering and it will be at your own peril."

"So it is." The King nodded his head in false understanding. "A ruthless vow for an unfeeling king or is that not what they say of him? I always said Maximilian needed a funny bone — always so serious! There are seven of them but we have seen six until now, why is that?"

"People who have things to hide are often the most paranoid."

"You offend the High King!" The noblesse with the circlet cried out.

The Hertog eyed the king without any of the meekness he entered the court with. "Are you as sensitive as your court? Honour me by granting permission to duel this boy!"

"Hush now, Hertog! My court is merry and not fond of blood as where you are from. You will sit and enjoy my hospitality while I am extending it to you as my guest."

Before the Hertog could answer, women entered the room, dressed much like the harpist, leaving little to the imagination. The Moran were separated and placed all around the room. Each one was lethal but together many armies had been destabilised. The room ignited with revelry.

Offending hands touched the Moran like they were ornaments put on display. The Noblesse touched them as though underneath the uniform was not a real person, a man with a family. They were weapons, myth and legend.

"How do you kiss with that mouth guard?" The woman asked, pressing her body against the guardian. She pushed the guardian into the chair across a table full of the king's nobles.

The guardian had little reaction of her position. She placed herself between his thighs and leaned back so her back was against his chest. "I heard the price of an elevated station is not really your lives. Is it true your king takes so much that you may look like a man but very little of you is left?

The Noblesse laughed. "Can he understand you?"

Another offered. "He can barely write his name, I am sure. This is why nobility cannot be bought."