Chapter 2

A few hours later I wake up. Looking out the window we pass a sign saying Welcome to Oldsilver, Home of the Original Silver Bullet. "Oldsilver? Where the heck are we?" "A few miles into South Dakota. Were about to stop for lunch." answers dad. "Where would you like to go?" "The Jolly Jalapeno." mumbles Ash while the twins scream "Hooters!" "Uh how about Greasy Sae's?" says Rose. "Greasy Sae's? Never heard of it." Says Derrick. "You just have something against Hooters!" "No, I just looked it up and it has really great reviews actually. Besides, I thought it might be neat to try something new?" "You are right Rosalie," says dad. "We should all be trying new things. Greasy Sae's it is."

We get to the restaurant and it's an old shack with, surprisingly, southern charm to it. Before we order Rosalie rushes to the restroom. She is taking awhile so I just order her a salad. Mom is actually about ot go check on her when Rose finally comes out. "You okay?" I ask. "Yeah just a little car sick." But you never get car sick? I think. "Good. I'm ready to drink some beer!" Ash surprisingly says. We leave the restaurant with our bellies full and To-Go boxes handy. We hit the road and are jamming to some Asia when an old Ford drives a little to close behind us for my dad's comfort. "What the hell is this guy's problem?" "Just get over in the next lane, Ross. We don't need to get in any wrecks." Mom try's to sound calm but you can tell she is worried.

The driver of the F-150 beams his lights on us and beings to flash us. "Ross, pull over!" shouts mom, "It's not worth it." My dad begins to pull over when the driver of the old truck floors it. Derricks asks "Is he trying to run us off of the road?" "Of course not Derrick, why would he do that?" I reply. For a second I think I hear Rosalie chuckle when all of a sudden my dad jerks the wheel to the left, just avoiding the Fords bumper. The Ford begins to keep driving and disappears in the horizon. We all look at each other and continue on our trip to the Catskills.

We drive all night until we reach our midway point, Beaufort Idaho, ten miles outside of the Illinois border. We pull into the motel. The twins are snuggled up to Ash, my dad has his arm around mom, and Rose is wrapped around me. Despite Rose acting weird all day and almost dying in a car wreck, driven off the road by a neanderthal, I have one of the best nights of sleep since mom and dad told us they were getting a divorce.

"