Foxes and Snow

"Miss Luxana, please do not go so far ahead." Sighed Brillum. He had hurried after us at the last moment, when he saw that we were wandering from the camp site. I felt that three body guards was a bit of an overkill for to woman going for a stroll withing shouting distance of camp. In the middle of a barren forest.

I rather doubted that we were going to be jumped by bandits, after all. Still, it wasn't like I was unaccustomed to the over cautious behavior of my people. And that vigilance had saved me more than once.

"Oh! My apologies." Gasped Luxana, hurrying back to my side. She was almost too innocent. I didn't mind, however. It was nice to see such kindness and openness amongst monsters who normally were prone to evisceration rather than chasing butterflies. Not that there were any butterflies this time of year. "I have never come to this part of the forest before."

"If you've seen one tree you've seen them all." Sighed Brillum while Draxly eyes the near by barren trees, looking like he expected an enemy to pop out of each and every one of them.

I laughed. "I don't know... I feel like everyone of them has a slightly different feel about them."

"Well, you would, wouldn't you?" Laughed the red foxie. "You are a land god. It wouldn't surprise me if you went and named each one individually."

"That wouldn't surprise me either." commented Lagdon dryly.

"Rude!" I snapped. "I have not named a single tree, I'll have you know."

Luxana giggled, now keeping close to myself and our guards. "I don't think it would be horrible for them to have names. Besides, I like the side of Lady Enna that cares so deeply for us and our forest."

"Is that not every side of her?" Drawled Lagdon again, sounding exasperated with me.

"But isn't that wonderful?!" The pretty young Foxmen lady said happily, her silvery white hair just as sparkly as the untouched snow around her.

I was about to huff about how I was right here, and that I would appreciate that they all stop talking as if I weren't.. But then I caught the smile, and the soft expression on the black furred foxie's face.

Oh? Draxly, with a smile? Do my eyes deceive me?

Well, well, well...

Draxly was normal so stern and aloof that I most often associated him with a ninja. He certainly had the skills of one. His stealth was killer, as was his speed in a fight and his accuracy when throwing a knife. There was no concept of throwing stars in this world- none that I had seen at least- but he really did give off that vibe.

I knew he was also kind and compassionate, and took his job very seriously, but I had never once seen him out of his 'work mode', so to speak.

"Wonderful or not, i can not seem to figure out why we are out here right now." Grouched my ever present shadow, Lagdon. 

He was pretty tense for a situation that didn't really call for it, but I couldn't blame him either. I mean, look what happened the last time I decided to go for a little walk out in the forest. Mind you, this was a forest next to a well used and marked road, and not a shadowy place know by an ominous name like 'The Dark'. I thought Lagdon could do with a little less hyper vigilance. Poor guy was going to give himself a n ulcer.

Could monsters get ulcers?

"I enjoy the forest in the winter." Stated Draxly. It was a rare thing for him to share personal information, even information as mundane as that. "It is silent, and clear of all disturbance. It reminds me of new beginnings."