CHAPTER 29

"Well, if it isn't Hara returned," said Hinka with a snide smile. "You've brought two little boys and, oh my, who is this gentleman here?" Her eyes rested on Nash and her smile transposed to something genuine. Delightful even.

"I'm Nash," he said, extending his hand and taking Hinka's in a cordial, almost gentle gesture. I thought he was going to say something about her charm, or some other romantic nonsense, from the expression on his face. I'd never seen that expression before. Certainly not when he looked at me. I was almost going to fly into a rage, but then he spoke. "I'm the one responsible for the burning destruction in the streets and the rioting people trying to get into your building right now."

Hinka's was now surprised, but her smile of delight was still lingering. She pulled her arm back gently and positioned both hands on her hips. "Well, it seems you've found the right partner Nash. If that's your end goal. Destruction?"

"Our goal actually is saving the earth from your incompetence," I said.

"Move out of the way. We're going to address the committee," said Dad.

"And who are you little man?" Asked Hinka, perhaps unsure what to think.

"I'm Dr. Jeremiah June," he said. Then she nodded as if all of sudden, everything made sense, and was a lot more serious than just me showing up uninvited to a meeting.

"I'm calling security right now," said Hinka.

"We've got our own CyboClops," I said. I turned to Wizard's hijacked body, but it was slumped over and completely unresponsive.

"He's left us," said Jimmy. "He must be looking for something else."

"I still have KungFu apps swimming in my memory," I said, glaring at Hinka like I could burn holes in her. "Get out of the way or I'll practice them on you."

"What's going on here?" Asked a seasoned gentleman, who stepped forward from the conference room behind Hinka. "Hinka the meeting's beginning."

"Yes Mr. Bannon," said Hinka. "We've got some trespassers here, I'm just waiting for security."

"Security won't be coming," said Jimmy. He was standing there in his lab coat. A little taller than Dad, he was commanding more respect from Hinka in this moment.

"And why is that? Little boy," Snapped Hinka.

"Because a pack of angry street dogs intercepted them in the lobby." His expression was so certain, so confident, that Hinka turned away first, somehow disconcerted by his stare.

"No matter. Do what you will," she said. Then she turned around to Mr. Bannon. "Seems our uninvited guests are going to insist on addressing the committee sir. The little boy in the elephant pajamas says he's Dr. Jeremiah June."

"That's impossible," stammered Bannon.

"Is it Will?" asked Dad, walking toward Bannon. "It's been a long time. How's Margie?" He extended his hand out and upward to reach the much taller Bannon.

"I don't understand. What happened to you?" Bannon accepted the handshake half-heartedly.

"Minor problem with a GeneMod I'm trying out. Not to worry, there are much bigger problems to discuss. We have to talk to the committee. I came all the way from GutterVille to speak here. I'm sure I'll be sent back there after this, or someplace worse, so at least give us ten minutes. For old time sake."

Bannon looked skeptical but nodded his head in agreement. We walked into the conference room and stood at the end of the large oval table. Bannon took his seat at the other end and Hinka sat by the door. The ten other committee members stopped their quiet murmuring and took their seats. Dad walked up to the table, his head barely reaching over the top of it, and rested his arms along the rim.