Vows and Veils...

Bright, golden tapestries and wide, Chantilly walls gave way to the young knight and his matron. Bouncing off the beams of sunlight, the elder's eyes sparkled, and admiration struck her at every marvel. The only sounds they heard beyond them were the empty, quickening echoes of their footsteps.

     "Oh, they did such a good job decorating! Lincoln, do you suppose you could convince someone to give me something like this to take home? I want to cherish this day with something tangible."

     "Ma, I'm shocked you didn't buy anything from the vendors outside. They even had special drinking glasses for sale." Link's eyes grew fraught. "You could have asked me to buy you something."

     "Stop that! I'm not making you pay for anything on your special day."

     From the corner of his eye, a taller, lithe figure from the other side of the open hall paced towards him, not once breaking her posture. Tanned skin and poppy-red hair contrasted the white and sky-blue uniform she wore. Looking up at her, Link's attention gravitated towards the golden allure of her eyes.

     "Greetings, Sir Lincoln." the Gerudo started, "My name is Vailencia, and I have been appointed to escort your mother to the venue. I am pleased to inform you that King Emyr and Queen Verathea will also attend." She lowered her upper body, curving her spine into a graceful bow. She curled a fist and placed it over her heart, the accepted display of obedience among the castle's residents.

     "Thank you, Miss Vailencia." Link bowed before leaning in and murmuring in a hush. "Please forgive me for asking. On behalf of my mother, would it be possible for her to take a trinket or decoration as a keepsake? She would be thrilled to have a memento."

     The woman's face lit up as she rose again, and her eyes shot bright like fireworks. With a chirp, she bobbed her head. It was almost too fast to see her excitement. "We'll make sure to save something special for her, sir. Now, ma'am, we must let him get ready."

     "Aw, how exciting! Darling, you're going to be terrific. I love you, and I can't wait to see you up there." With one last, strong hug, the two women departed from him and hustled forward. From the growing distance, he could his mother's laughter. I love you, too, Ma; so much.

     "Impa, I think my hair got caught in the grommets while you laced me."

     "Princess." came a placid tone from the Sheikah.

     Her little charge sighed. "I'm sorry, Impa. You were right. Please style my hair." The maiden lost form as she slumped into the armchair facing her vanity. While the makeup hid most imperfections, the purple hue from under her eyes stared right back at her. Another yawn escaped her as she tussled her hair. Any stuck strands ripped out from the miniature maws of the corset. Oh, no. Red again. Expect Father to fuss. "Would the Epona Tail be too casual?" Each lap of the brush was one of haste. "Or a single braid?"

     "Princess," Impa exhaled. Her arms fell away from a comfortable, crossed position. She parted Zelda's hair, separating it with tact. "Recall what your mother asked of you. The golden veil of Hylia will be worn over the wimble. Your tiara will hold everything in place. Your hair must stay put and must not be seen during the ceremony or the reception." Loop after loop, section after section, each entwined finger weaved in and out of each other's way. In time, a series of plush vines embraced the sea of sangria. Impa's attention soon broke, eyes darting in every direction.

     "Did Mother have to do this, too?" queried the monarch, passing her the wimble she assumed Impa sought. It must have been, as her caretaker snatched it right up.