Chapter Nineteen

Alec's arms tensed around me. Had I really just said that out loud? I was embarrassed enough that I was crying. I expected him to recoil from me, to shout, or even curse. Instead his lips grazed my ear. "I love you, too."

I shuddered in his arms. He released me. "No more, Nat. We can't talk about this anymore, okay?"

I turned around, the stain of tears were still present on my cheeks. I nodded and exhaled. "We should run."

He seemed thankful for the subject change, his eyes widened briefly and then he nodded. "Yeah, um... let me just get my stuff on. Want me to meet at your house in about ten minutes?"

"Sure." I gave him the most cheerful smile I could conjure up and bolted out the door. I ran the entire way to my house. I only had a few minutes and I needed those minutes like I needed air.

Once I was inside my bedroom, I slammed the door behind me, fell to my knees and wept.

True to his word, ten minutes later Alec was outside knocking on the door. I splashed my face with water and grabbed my phone and ear buds.

I didn't look any worse for the wear. He was a boy, but he wasn't a complete idiot. He'd know I would cry, so it shouldn't surprise him all that much.

"Ready?" he asked the minute I opened the door.

"Yup." I gave him a cheerful smile and prayed silently that I would make it through the run without having a complete breakdown.

After the first mile, the familiar strain in my legs began anew, helping me refocus on my breathing and pace rather than on the ache in my chest from this morning. My mind flashed to Alec in bed, our bodies entwined, our kiss heated. It was like nothing I had ever experienced mainly because my response to him was so different — primal even. I craved more, needed more from him.

Whatever they were hiding must be big. The bond they had with one another was scary strong, almost as if they both had some traumatic experience and lived through it. The only thing I could think of was their father having cancer. I can't imagine.

At mile four, we were getting ready to turn back when Demetri's voice came over the speakers. I smiled and looked at Alec.

"What?" he asked.

"One of your songs. Demetri's singing," I said.

Alec smiled. "He's talented."

And that was it. We both stood there looking at one another with sadness, love, friendship, and secrets. I took everything we shared and again stored it into that tiny place in my brain where I labeled the box Alec. It could have said first love on it, but I was lucky enough to have two loves in my life, and the choice had been taken from me by the very boy who had forever reflecting in his eyes.

"Race you back?" I grinned.

"Don't trip," Alec teased and pushed me before taking off.

Tears blurred my vision as I chased after him. It was too close to a metaphor for my current situation in life. I would never reach him, never have him, and if I was lucky enough to catch him for even one second, he would always run.

Odd, that in the end Demetri would be the safe one. The one I could trust with my heart.

****

"Nat, hurry up!" Alesha shouted from downstairs.

I rolled my eyes at the reflection in the mirror and put in my earrings. The guys won their football game, and we were quickly trying to get ready for the dance. We had to be there earlier than everyone else so we could take tickets and make sure nobody snuck in alcohol or kids from other schools. "Coming!" I fired back, grabbing my shoes from the box on the bed and skipping down the stairs.