Chapter Thirteen

We watched movies until the wee hours of the night. By midnight I felt loads better, which was good considering I'd have to sneak back into my house.

Demetri had fallen asleep so it was up to Alec to deliver me to the front door in one piece.

"Ready?" he whispered as he unlocked the back door.

I nodded.

We padded across the backyard and quickly made it to my back door. Everything was dark, meaning the photographers had finally gone home.

"Everything's going go to change, Nat," Alec whispered behind me. I turned, his eyes looked black in the darkness, not the usual green I had grown so accustomed to.

"What do you mean?" My voice didn't hide my panic.

"You're going to be on every news station, every radio station, every gossip site. I just want you to know, it's about to change and it's not going to be easy."

"They'll get bored with me," I reassured him by reaching up for a hug. His arms were so big and strong. I shivered when he placed his chin on my head.

"Nobody could ever get bored with you, Nat. That's impossible."

I smiled. "You're just being nice because I'm sick."

His chuckle warmed me. He pulled back and looked into my eyes. "I'm not just being nice, I'm being honest. Now get some rest." Alec's head descended, his lips were almost to my cheek when a flash interrupted us.

"Get in the house, Nat. Now." Alec frantically pushed me into the house and walked up to the photographers. He was yelling. Wow, I must bring out the hulk in him. He always seems so calm and collected. Right now it looks like he's going to rip the guy's head off.

The guy started cussing him out. Alec raised his arms above his head again. Oh no, this is not good.

I quickly dialed Demetri's number. It went to voicemail. I called five more times before he finally answered.

His voice was groggy. "This better be a booty call."

I ignored him. "There are photographers outside. Alec is yelling at them. He looks crazy. I don't know what to do."

Demetri cursed and the line went dead.

I watched as he ran out of the house in nothing but his low slung jeans. His tan body glowed in the moonlight. He was every inch as beautiful as Alec, but so different. Alec was covered in tattoos. Demetri had two, though I couldn't make it out. It too spread across his chest and seemed to connect to something on his back. It was too hard to tell in the dark, but I could have sworn there was writing.

Demetri grabbed Alec and ushered him back into the house, while Alec was still yelling.

The photographer walked away in the other direction. I locked my door just in case and walked up to my room. Cell phone clenched in my hand. What the heck was that about? He took a picture? So what? Not that I didn't appreciate Alec's protectiveness, but still.

I checked my phone again. No texts from Demetri. I put my cell by my pillow anyway and drifted off to sleep.