Chapter Fourteen

My entire Sunday was dedicated to homework. Demetri had his fair share as well, so we agreed to hang out Monday at school. I didn't just miss him, I missed Alec too. But I knew it would be weird to just stop by their house. After all, I basically stayed the weekend with them.

My mom didn't even ask how I was when she walked in Sunday night. She scurried into her office and said she had an emergency client. Which basically meant there was some sort of suicide attempt.

I shrugged.

My mind still itched to know why Alec and Demetri were seeing my mom. It wasn't as if I could ask her what they talked with her about. And neither of them would say a word to me about it.

It just seemed like there was so much more to the story. Why were they really here? The situation bothered me more than it should because I was stuck smack dab in the middle of it. And yes, I guess I am semi-insecure, I just didn't want to be caught up in something that would eventually hurt me.

The next day I accidently overslept. I only had time to brush my teeth, wash my face, and throw on clothes before I was running out the door to my truck.

Only, it was missing. I blinked several times. Maybe I was losing my mind? Who the heck would steal my truck?

"Geez, took you long enough to get ready," Demetri said from behind me. I flipped around and felt myself blush.

"I overslept."

"I couldn't tell." He eyed me appreciatively making my blush burn my cheeks like crazy.

"Do it again," he whispered as he leaned in and kissed me.

"What?"

"Blush. It's sexy." His arms came around me lifting me off the ground. I giggled as he twirled me around then set me down. "You ready, man?" He called behind him.

Alec bounded out of the house. He was wearing some sort of graphic T-shirt and skinny jeans with Converse. I never liked skinny jeans on guys. I liked them on him. A lot.

I blushed again, but this time I turned away from Demetri. It wouldn't go over well if I was caught blushing because of his brother.

"Let's go." Alec got into his car an unlocked the doors. The drive to school felt tense. I had no idea why but all I kept thinking was that I was somehow the reason for it. I looked between both guys and saw that neither of them looked happy.

Demetri's cell phone ring jolted me enough to make me almost smack my head against the window.

"I'm sorry, what?" he roared. "How the hell did that happen?"

Lots of cursing followed and then he threw the phone to the floor of the car.

"How bad?" Alec asked quietly.

"Bad."

"Atlanta bad?"

"Worse, man, so much worse." Demetri turned around and bit his lip. "I don't know how to say this, or even how to warn you."

"Just say it," Alec spat.

Demetri gave his brother a glare before reaching for my hand and kissing it. "The media's cooked up a pretty ridiculous story. It's not going to be an easy day."

"What kind of story?"

My eyes flickered between the two of them. Alec's hands were gripping the steering wheel so hard it looked like he was going to break it off.

Demetri cleared his throat. "One where you were seen kissing one brother one night, only to be seen almost kissing the other the next night."

"So they labeled me a whore?"