Chapter 22: The Emperor's Suspicion

Inside the Taihe Hall,JunhanCheng's first task was to open the memorial presented by Liu Ying. In addition to mentioning the reinforcement of troops at Zou Guan (a fictional place) and local sentiments, it also mentioned something about Liu Qingqing."I have heard that the Emperor has neglected my daughter. I have come to plead with His Majesty, hoping that you will love my child. Otherwise, I, with my hundred thousand soldiers, might cause trouble for the Emperor. I hope His Majesty will make a decision and settle this matter." JunhanCheng read the contents of the memorial. Apart from hoping that he could favor his own daughter, he also used his hundred thousand soldiers as a threat. Junhan's face showed no expression, but from his tightly clenched hands and bulging veins, it could be seen that he was angry. Bu Zian had followed Junhan for over ten years and naturally understood what he was thinking, but as a servant, he couldn't speak openly.

"Your Majesty, the freshly brewed Biluochun tea from the small kitchen has arrived. Please enjoy it." Bu Zian said respectfully.

JunhanCheng didn't say anything and directly picked it up and drank it. After drinking, his complexion indeed improved significantly. After finishing, JunhanCheng continued to look at the memorial, putting down Liu Ying's memorial and looking at the others."Bu Zian.""Here, Your Majesty.""How long has it been since I last visited the Ningshuang Pavilion?""Well... Your Majesty, since Noble Lady Ya entered the palace, Your Majesty hasn't set foot in the Ningshuang Pavilion..."Junhan remained silent for a long time before speaking, "Let's go to the Ningshuang Pavilion tonight.""Yes." Bu Zian's face showed some surprise, but he quickly agreed.

In the Ningshuang Pavilion, Bu Zian arrived after a while."Please greet Noble Lady Ya." Bu Zian smiled and greeted."Lord Bu? Please rise, what's the matter?" Liu Qingqing was painting, but when she saw Bu Zian, she put down her things."Congratulations, Master. The Emperor flipped your card today. He specially asked me to inform you earlier so that you can prepare." Bu Zian said.Liu Qingqing didn't have much reaction and smiled awkwardly, "I understand. Thank you, Lord Bu."

After Liu Qingqing finished speaking, Bu Zian bowed and left. Zilan heard the news and happily ran over, saying, "Congratulations, Master. The Emperor finally remembered our Princess!""Yeah..." Liu Qingqing murmured softly."It seems like the Master is not very happy?""With favor comes attention. I'm afraid more people will notice me now," Liu Qingqing sighed, but Zilan didn't understand.

On the other side, Yue Xi went to the Wei Yang Hall to chat with Wise Consort Ran."Little sister, you're here," Wise Consort Ran smiled.The two sat on the couch and chatted."You've just recovered a bit, why do you keep coming out? Next time, I'll come to you," Wise Consort Ran said."I was feeling suffocated inside the building, so I came out for a walk. Don't worry too much, Sister. Physician Chu said it's better to go out for a walk," Yue Xi explained.Seeing Yue Xi's response, Wise Consort Ran didn't say much."By the way, sister, I haven't seen you much lately. Have you been staying in the hall all the time?""Ah, the Empress has been instructing me to train the newcomers. For a while, I couldn't spare the time. Now the other matters in the palace are all managed by the Empress," Ran said."The Empress naturally doesn't want to be restricted, that's why she gave you such instructions," Yue Xi analyzed."The Empress does indeed calculate everything carefully," Wise Consort Ran said with a cold smile."Sister, don't worry too much. The Empress is currently worried about how to explain the matter of the Third Prince to Lady Shun," Yue Xi said."You always come up with so many ideas."

The two spent a long time talking, and YueXi went back to her accommodation. On the way, Jinyan couldn't help but ask YueXi, "Why didn't you tell Wise Consort Ran about the musk? Now that she has the power to oversee the six palaces, it would be convenient to investigate.""Wise Consort Ran is busy with training the newcomers and has no time for anything else. Besides, the Empress's intention was to let the virtuous concubine hold only the title of overseeing the six palaces without actually having any power. If an investigation were to be launched and it alarmed the Empress, she would surely be on guard. Moreover... I feel that things are not as simple as we seem."Back at the Xizhao Tower, YueXi sat down to embroider and was surprised to see SuWan entering in palace maid attire."Sister!" SuWan approached with concern in her voice, and YueXi responded warmly, holding her hand and sitting down."Fengtian Tower has been busy lately, so I couldn't visit you. Are you doing alright, sister?" SuWan said, tears in her eyes."I'm fine. With Brother Xunshuang's medical skills, I will recover quickly.""That's good. By the way, did you receive the scented sachet I sent?""Yes, I will use it when I sleep."SuWan nodded gently, looking satisfied.YueXi smiled in response but noticed that SuWan's clothes had been patched."Oh, by the way, I never asked you. Where did you get the palace maid clothes?""I borrowed them from a little palace maid. Isn't it fair to exchange a small amount of silver for a new outfit? Hehe.""It's fair, it's fair. I just noticed that the cuffs of your sleeves are a bit torn."SuWan looked surprised. "Ah? I didn't notice. I will mend them when I go back. Don't worry, sister!""Alright, you should go back quickly before someone catches you.""I know, sister. I will come to see you again!"

After SuWan left, RuXin came in with a smile and said, "Master, the Emperor went to see Noble Lady Ya.""Really? That's great," YueXi said, pleasantly surprised.In the Taihe Hall, the eunuch went to the Ningshuang Pavilion and waited for Liu Qingqing to be ready. Then he sat in the sedan chair and went to the Taihe Hall.Liu Qingqing was waiting behind a screen in the Taihe Hall for Junhan Cheng to arrive. When he did, the maids would take off the outer garments on Liu Qingqing, leaving only the thin white inner garments, which were barely there, revealing her body.Liu Qingqing had been waiting nervously behind the screen. After a while, Junhan Cheng arrived, and the maids took off Liu Qingqing's outer garments and left, leaving only the two of them. Liu Qingqing came out and bowed to Junhan Cheng."May the Emperor be blessed and safe," Liu Qingqing performed a proper bow, impeccable in her manners."Hmm, rise," Junhan Cheng walked directly to the bed and sat down.Liu Qingqing remained standing."Do you know that your father presented a petition today, asking me to favor you?" Junhan Cheng said."He is my father, after all. The Emperor has come because of him," Liu Qingqing replied calmly."Your father does care about you, but more than that, he cares about his own position, doesn't he?" Junhan Cheng raised an eyebrow and questioned.Liu Qingqing knelt down and said, "I don't know what my father's intentions are. I have had little interaction with him since I was young...""Are you saying this to let me know that you have no secret collusion with your father?""Emperor, please understand..."Junhan Cheng looked at her, still skeptical, and his mouth curved slightly, but he didn't say anything."Now, if I were to kill your father, would you not feel distressed?""Although I am distant from my father, I still hold him in high regard and hope he can be well...""I thought you were an unfilial daughter.""I can't dispel your doubts, Emperor. It is my inadequacy...""Hmph, for now, I will believe you. Come up to the bed."Liu Qingqing hesitated, then stood up and walked towards the bed, but Junhan Cheng grabbed her hand and pulled her onto the bed, where they spent the night in the palace.

The next day, when Liu Qingqing woke up, Bu Zian was waiting for her outside, as Junhan Cheng had already gone to court. Liu Qingqing got dressed and walked out, seeing Bu Zian standing by the table, with a bowl of black soup on it."Congratulations, Master. This medicine was the first thing the Emperor sent to you," Bu Zian said with a smile.May I ask, Lord Bu, what kind of soup is this?" Liu Qingqing actually had doubts about the soup."Well... the Emperor said that his favor is enough for you, and nothing else matters..." Bu Zian said awkwardly.At this moment, Liu Qingqing understood what the soup was. If she guessed correctly, it was a contraceptive potion, different from musk as it wouldn't cause infertility."Then... I thank the Emperor for his favor..." Liu Qingqing's face darkened, and she picked up the bowl and drank it all. After finishing, Bu Zian respectfully opened the door and let her go back.On the other side, YueXi had called for Chuxun Shuang early in the morning to inquire about the musk incident."You said the musk was found on the clothes of the Graceful Consort Ming. The clothes are washed by palace maids. I wonder if the palace maids from Yaoqing Palace are still in the palace?" YueXi supported her forehead as Chuxun Shuang examined her pulse."Ah, I remember that after the Emperor listened to the advice of the Fengtian Tower, the palace maids who served the Graceful Consort Ming were all sent away. The Fengtian Tower said that the Graceful Consort Ming had evil spirits haunting her, and those who served her should be dismissed to avoid further trouble." Chuxun Shuang was quite well-informed."The Fengtian Tower?" YueXisaid in surprise.Liu Qingqing returned to the Ningshuang Pavilion and dismissed all the palace maids, staying by herself.She sat on the bed and quietly cried. She didn't understand why she felt so distressed. She respected the Emperor and didn't actively vie for favor, but because of the shackles of her family, she was unconditionally doubted and suspected by Junhan Cheng. After thinking for a long time, she comforted herself, saying, "It's better this way... I won't end up like my mother..."