Chapter 7: Collaboration

Inside the Taihe Hall.

The Empress went to the Taihe Hall in the afternoon to meet the Emperor and advise him.

"The Empress has arrived, Your Majesty," Bu Zian brought the Empress in.

"Let her in."

The Empress first saluted the Emperor and then instructed Qinglan to bring food to the Emperor. At this time, the Emperor was still reviewing documents.

"Your Majesty, you are so focused on state affairs that you even forget to eat and rest. It's time to have a meal," the Empress advised.

Upon smelling the aroma of the food brought by the Empress, Jun Han Cheng forgot that he hadn't had lunch yet and decided to follow the Empress's suggestion. He would have his meal first before reviewing the documents. The two quickly sat down at the dining table.

Just as the Empress ordered the food to be served, Jun Han Cheng noticed the pearl shark fin soup and the fried pancakes. His expression changed briefly, and the Empress also noticed his reaction.

"What's wrong, Your Majesty? Are these dishes not to your liking?" the Empress asked, pretending not to know.

"The dishes are to my liking, but it's just that the combination of the precious pearl shark fin soup and the common fried pancakes seems mismatched," Jun Han Cheng criticized in a disapproving tone.

"Although fried pancakes are a common dish, everyone enjoys them. However, eating too many of them is not good for health. On the other hand, drinking too much pearl shark fin soup may become greasy, but it is beneficial for the body."

"It seems the Empress has a hidden meaning," Jun Han Cheng caught the Empress's underlying message.

"I know that you favor Court Lady Yan, but she comes from a humble background and has no children yet. Your favoritism towards Court Lady Yan, promoting her from an Imperial maid to a Court Lady, should be evenly distributed among the concubines in the harem. This way, it will prevent the other palace ladies from criticizing Court Lady Yan, which would also be unfavorable for her," the Empress knelt before Jun Han Cheng, pleading with him.

"The Empress makes a valid point. I should indeed take a look at other beloved consorts," Jun Han Cheng started reflecting and agreed to the Empress's request.

Meanwhile, in the Weiyang Palace.

Consort Ran was painting in the main hall, portraying Jun Han Cheng's appearance. He looked handsome and majestic in the painting, and Consort Ran smiled as she looked at it.

"Miss, there's something I don't understand. Court Lady Yan has no relation to you, so why do you speak up for her? Besides, her character is not commendable," Lan Xi objected.

Consort Ran ignored her and continued painting, but Lan Xi became impatient. Consort Ran glanced at her and took a deep breath.

"I have been in this palace for five years, and I have witnessed many things. As you have seen, Court Lady Yan was falsely accused of seeking personal glory and the Empress was involved. Who do you think framed Court Lady Yan?" Consort Ran hinted to Lan Xi.

"Could it be the Empress?"

"The Empress did suppress Court Lady Yan to some extent, and the Emperor probably won't visit her for the next few days," Consort Ran continued analyzing.

"By speaking up for Court Lady Yan this time, won't you be opposing the Empress?"

"When I was in the hidden residence, I was constantly oppressed by Graceful Consort Ming. The Empress also turned a blind eye to it. Although  Court Lady Yan is troubled by rumors, I believe she will support me in return," Consort Ran explained.