Chapter 18: Miscarriage

The next day, Liu Qingqing personally came to the Xi Zhao Tower to pay her respects."Sister..." Liu Qingqing walked over with a smile."Qingqing? You're here." Yue Xi replied warmly.Yue Xi noticed that the smile on Liu Qingqing's face deepened, realizing that Liu Qingqing still enjoyed life in the palace. It was understandable considering Liu Qingqing's high family background and her gentle and easygoing personality. Other concubines liked to spend time with her, especially Noble Concubine Xu and Concubine Yuan , who often chatted with her."Since you entered the palace, there seems to be a smile on your face." Yue Xi teased."Yes, coming to this palace is also good without the constraints of my father." Liu Qingqing's smile faded.Seeing her somewhat disturbed, Yue Xi changed the topic, "Why do you have time to come? I heard that other concubines often visit you.""Sister, don't make fun of me. The Empress Dowager ordered the other concubines not to stay in my palace for too long and disturb my peace. So the other concubines are also afraid to provoke the Empress Dowager." Liu Qingqing explained."You're fortunate to have the Empress Dowager protecting you."As they spoke, both of them burst into laughter.

On the other side, Su Wan received a task to exorcise demons in the Graceful Consort Ming's palace. Since the butterfly incident, Graceful Consort Ming had developed psychological trauma and her mental condition had deteriorated. She had become somewhat insane and emotionally unstable, causing her maidservants Zhu Er and Qiu Shuang to be terrified of her. They hadn't slept well for a long time. Therefore, they invited a mage from the Fengtian Tower to exorcise the demons, at least to calm her down.

When Su Wan arrived at the Yao Qing Palace's Yao Guang Hall, she saw many talismans hanging from the ceiling. The decorations in the hall were in red and pink, dimly lit, creating a Chinese-style horror atmosphere. No wonder the maidservants of Yao Qing Palace were afraid to enter and cried loudly when serving Graceful Consort Ming, spreading the news throughout the palace. Su Wan was also extremely nervous when she entered, but she and her master Yun Zhang went as mages. Su Wan smelled a strong fragrance inside, which was a calming incense sent by the Empress. However, despite the incense being sent for a few days, Graceful Consort Ming's condition hadn't improved and had even worsened. As they approached, they heard Graceful Consort Ming talking to herself.

"It's the butterfly... the butterfly, don't harm me!" Ming Shu Fei's voice grew louder."Master, is Graceful Consort losing her sanity?" Su Wan whispered to Yun Zhang."Sigh, even if that's the case, we still have to take care of her."Su Wan didn't say much and continued to walk forward with Yun Zhang until they saw Graceful Consort Ming.Graceful Consort Ming had been staring at the bracelet given by the Emperor, smiling foolishly, but suddenly, she became terrified."Graceful Consort, I will hold a ritual for you." Yun Zhang said, and he and Su Wan took out their ritual tools to perform the ceremony together.The ritual lasted for an hour before Su Wan and Yun Zhang went outside the hall.

"Su Wan, help me stick talismans outside the hall. I need to go back and get something." Su Wan pouted, "Okay..."

Not long after, Su Wan began to stick talismans outside the hall. She happened to overhear the eunuchs from the Imperial Household Department talking quietly while delivering incense to Graceful Consort Ming."Ah, I don't know why we were asked to deliver these spices. Just thinking about entering the Yao Guang Hall makes my legs weak," one eunuch said."We have to do what we are told, who cares about us? But this calming incense is not a good thing," another eunuch replied."What do you mean?""I inquired about it. There's something in it that can mess with people's minds. If inhaled for a long time, it can cause mental instability, and in severe cases, it can be poisonous and fatal. I don't know if it's true or not.""But what about Graceful Consort...""Well, now that Graceful Consort is like this, it wouldn't be bad if she died. Don't meddle too much..." The two eunuchs left, and Su Wan overheard their conversation. Su Wan instantly understood that Graceful Consort Ming was not going to survive.