Chapter 21: Taking Action

At noon, Liu Qingqing was assisting the Empress Dowager with a massage in Jianzhang Palace. They hadn't been talking much, but the Empress Dowager decided to speak up."Qing'er, you've been in the palace for quite some time now. Have you served the Emperor in bed?"Upon hearing this, Liu Qingqing stopped the massage, and her smile froze. "The Emperor has been busy with state affairs recently, and with so many sisters in the palace, it's natural that he cannot attend to me..."It had been several months since Jun Han Cheng brought Liu Qingqing into the palace, but she had never entered the Ning Shuang Pavilion. Initially, the people in the palace fawned over her due to her background, thinking she would be highly favored. However, after such a long time, Liu Qingqing still had no favor, and the other consorts started to look down on her.

"Is that so? But I've heard that the Emperor dotes on the Empress greatly. If he has time to dote on the Empress, why doesn't he have time to see you?" The Empress Dowager expressed her dissatisfaction.

"Please calm down, Empress Dowager... Actually, I don't need such favoritism, and it doesn't matter to me... Noble Lady Yan was once greatly favored, but she couldn't withstand someone's scheming. I'm truly afraid of facing a similar fate," Liu Qingqing spoke in a softer voice.

"Ah, Qing'er, the Empress Dowager just hopes that you can be happy in the palace. The Empress Dowager is not young anymore and is sometimes unable to do much. You still have to rely on yourself; otherwise... people in the palace will look down on you," the Empress Dowager said with concern."I understand," Liu Qingqing replied."Alright, the Empress Dowager is tired. You may go back now."

After Liu Qingqing returned to her residence, the maid, Lianrui, could tell that the Empress Dowager had something to say.

"Empress Dowager?" Lianrui asked.

"Qing'er can't continue like this..." the Empress Dowager said.

"What does the Empress Dowager intend to do?"

"Fetch writing materials; I want to write a letter."

Back in the Ning Shuang Pavilion, Liu Qingqing was still thinking about what the Empress Dowager had said, sitting leisurely on her couch."What's wrong, Master? I saw you lost in thought," her personal maid, Zilan, asked.Liu Qingqing was interrupted from her thoughts. "Nothing. Bring me some paper; I want to paint.""Master, all you do is read or paint. Please forgive me for speaking bluntly, but you've been in the palace for several months, and the Emperor has never set foot in the Ning Shuang Pavilion. Master, I'm worried for you...""Zilan, please stop. The Emperor has someone he favors, and it's normal for him not to come here," Liu Qingqing interrupted, but her words carried a hint of sadness.

In the Xizhao Tower.Yue Xi was reading a book while Chu Xunshuang kept checking her pulse."Your body is still weak; you need more rest. Also, when you go out, remember to wear warmer clothes. It would be troublesome if you catch a cold," Chu Xunshuang advised."Thank you, Physician Chu," Yue Xi smiled."Oh, by the way, Su Wan asked me to give you this sachet. I've checked it, and it has a calming effect. However, you need to be cautious when using it. It contains a soothing fragrance, but if mixed with sandalwood, it can be harmful to the body.""Understood. Thank you, Physician Chu.""I'll take my leave."

At that moment, Ru Xin approached."Master, will Noble Concubine Xu cooperate with you?""I heard from sister Ran that Noble Concubinen Xu's child was a victim of the Empress's schemes. Xu holds deep resentment towards the Empress, and we have witnessed it ourselves. With such a good opportunity, Xu wouldn't refuse," "Coming together for personal gain, and dispersing for personal gain. Perhaps that's the principle," Ru Xin sighed."Master, the Emperor is here." A-Zhen ran over to inform them.