"Come on, spill the tea! Anyone caught your eye lately?"

I suppressed any thoughts of Carson and his intense, brooding gaze. Our friendship was already complicated as it is. "I think I'll just lay low for a while."

A laugh bubbled out of her, the sound echoing in the bridal shop. "You're still young, Max. Love has a funny way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. Trust me."

She sounded so sure of herself that I couldn't help but smile at her optimism.

In the wake of the ongoing wedding hustle, Montgomery took it upon himself to throw together an intimate soirée at our place—a little shindig for the near and dear. The sun dipped low, casting a honeyed glow over our small backyard. The scent of barbecue filled the air, and laughter echoed through the garden.

Amidst the hustle and bustle, Maia and I worked together to set up the outdoor seating area. We strung twinkling fairy lights on the trees, casting a magical glow as dusk settled in. Meanwhile, Dad held court by the drinks table, his smile genuine and infectious as he caught up with Montgomery's college buddies. Our backyard, though modest in size, quickly filled with the lively chatter of Montgomery and Maia's friends. Despite the absence of Maia's family, who were busy shopping for wedding decorations in New York, the atmosphere was brimming with vibrant energy. 

Maia was able to convince me to put on a dress. The outfit was a rich royal purple that hugged me awkwardly. Delicate embroidery adorned the bodice, intertwining with intricate sequins that caught the light, transforming the purple into a shimmering canvas.

With a stack of tablecloths in hand, she placed them on the creaky dining table that Miles and I had hauled outside. "Montgomery told me about your new friend," she said to me then.

I understood right away who she was referring to. Only one other person had moved to Belle Haven that year.

"Monty extended the invitation," she continued, grinning at me with a knowing look, as if she held a secret meant just for her to unveil. "Specifically, for you."

It had been a week since I last saw Carson. His health seemed to be on a downward spiral, and our conversations were confined to the realm of text messages. Carson, a habitual late replier—my personal pet peeve—left me increasingly anxious about his deteriorating health. I'm fine, Max, he'd say, you don't have to fuss so much. But he hadn't responded to my messages since yesterday, making me think Claudia probably stepped in, snatched his phone, and ordered him to get some much-needed rest.

So, it caught me off guard when Maia revealed that he was on his way.

A sudden rush left me breathless, a flurry of nervous emotions swirling in the pit of my stomach. And just as I was trying to wrap my head around it all, Holly Dae jumped in with her idea of snapping a photo of the Hudson siblings. Holly Dae was always diving into new hobbies, and last I heard, she was deep into crocheting. That day, she was playing photographer, wielding a small camera she had "borrowed" from her mom's boyfriend.

I found myself sandwiched between the two, the undeniable height difference making me the clear outlier. Miles stood on one side, his eyes slightly red, a telltale sign of his recent indulgence in some recreational activities. Despite the subtle awkwardness, we managed to force matching grins for the camera, our arms forming a tight embrace around one another. A snapshot frozen in time.

"Come on, try to look like you're having fun!" Holly Dae cheered. With a playful grin, she beckoned Dad to join our little gathering. Dad, drink in hand, gracefully crouched down beside Montgomery.