chapter 4

Your face heated at his comment, making you squirm.

"Tell me dear, what is your name?" infinite asks. He removed his hand from you cheek and begun playing with your hair, which made you tense. It was a bit unnerving, but made you very flustered. How could he be making you blush, if he didn't even know your name?

"M-my name... is Y/N." you stuttered, avoiding eye contact.

"Tell me, Y/N, what where you doing here? In this ruined city?" He had an intrigued look on his face, and you remembered what exactly you were supposed to be doing. Distracting him! I guess it was... working? You came to find him, to stop him.

Youe mind raced to look for an answer, without revealing the plan to him. "Uh- i uh... i got lost." you said, but immediately taking those words when he started laughing.

"Lost? Ha!"

You had to bite your lip to keep yourself from laughing as well. What a stupid thing to say. You looked down, pretending to be embarrassed.

"Well you wound up in the right place." he said, but you couldn't tell whether or not he was being sarcastic.

His hand on your back gently smoothed your fur. He grinned and looked down at you, his alluring eyes seemed to be... observing your body.

"Your a jackal, am i wrong?" infinite asks. You knew that he was a jackal himself, which sparked and interest.

You nodded. "Thats right." you took this opportunity to look at his body. Your eyes wandered lower, to his chest. He was wearing a grey tank top. He had a lot of white chest fur, it looked so soft... His arms were exposed and you wondered if he was cold. Before this, you were wearing a jacket, but it had fallen off. His arms were no doubt muscular, making you stare a bit. His muscles were well defined and toned, he must spend a lot of time working out.

Your eyes snapped back to his when you realized he had noticed you looking for a few seconds.

"Uh-you're a jackal too? I don't usually see many." you said quickly.

His expression darkened, and you felt like maybe you shouldnt have brought that up.

He let out a sigh and closed his eyes. "There used to be more... until that pest... killed them all."

"Pest?"

"That vermin, shadow the hedgehog." he said harshly. You were shocked to hear your friends name, it was weird you hadn't heard of this before. It seemed like this topic was deeply bothering him. But you wanted to know what happened with shadow.

"I had a group, called the Jackal Squad. They were so close to me, until he murdered them all, i was the only one left, but I managed to get away... I miss them- all of them. They were the only ones i could truly trust, the only ones who understood me. But they were taken away from me, right infront of my own eyes. Its.. been a while since they died... but it still feels like a fresh wound." his voice sounded like it could break any moment, but he stopped himself before he spoke anymore.

This made you feel so pitiful for him... although he was described as a horrible person by your friends, you felt so sorry for him. You reached out for his hand, which had both dropped to his sides. You held his cold hand, and he looked up in shock before hesitating, and then embracing it. You thought he would pull back, but he carefully held your hand back.

You caught sight of the the pain in his eyes slowly fading. There must have been something more to it, one that he couldn't bring himself to talk about.

You hadn't expected him to open up to you about this, in the slightest. You could tell it really hurt him. The thing was, this sparked a connection between you two.