She visibly flinched, and from the corner of my eyes, I could see the other maids that came out having heard our earlier commotion. They were all watching from the corners, peeping, and muttering stuff to themselves.

Perhaps, it's my subconsciousness that's making me feel even more insecure, but I felt like they were all mocking me existence.

It feels as though they all know the truth I'm trying to keep buried. Like my skeletons were laid bare for everyone to see and they were all throwing their snarky remarks.

It feels as though I'm losing what I managed to get. It doesn't matter if I hate my life or not. I cannot go back to the life I have then.

At least back then, I had nothing. So, my life couldn't get any worse.

Now though, I'm at the top.

It hurts more when you fall from a greater height. Imagine how bad my fall will be.

So yes, I'm scared...utterly scared because I'm all fucked up.

"Are you all deaf?" I questioned coldly, snapping my gaze from the shaking maid in front of me to the others hiding behind the pillars. "I said, I WANT YOU ALL OUT OF MY FUCKING HOUSE RIGHT NOW!"

Never in the ten years I've lived as Nailah had I ever raised my voice at anyone. No matter what, I handled it calmly even when I was a brewing storm inside.

This time around though, I'm not just a storm. I'm a tornado, a volcano that's erupting, and a time bomb. I couldn't think clearly, and I don't want to.

Luckily for them, they seemed to get the memo then because they were all quick to scramble away. Every single one of them rushed out through the front door, leaving the door smacked close behind them.

I stood there glaring at the door, my shoulders raising, and dropping as I blew out harsh breaths. Unintentionally, my mind went back to my conversation with Ayaan half an hour ago.

My heart dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw the organ drop to the floor in a puddle of blood.

I have never been this scared in my entire life. Not when my father died, and not when I took the role of Nailah. I had always been calm headed, despite whatever life threw at me.

This time though, it's different.

I could feel my world come crashing at a rapid rate right before my eyes. And the cause of such disruption was sitting calmly in front of me, looking like the epitome of calmness. Though for the first time since I saw him, he doesn't look like the Ayaan everyone knows.

At least, not the man he pretends to be.

This man seated opposite me is dangerous. He looked lethal, almost as if he's out to kill someone and wouldn't stop till he got blood on his hands. He knew perfectly well what he's doing to me, and boy was he enjoying tearing me apart and picking at the flesh.

Somehow, I managed to stop myself from looking like a shaky mess. Swallowing thickly, my hand fisted by the side underneath the table, and out of his sight before I yawed my expression blank. "I don't know what nonsense you're spewing now." Even I was surprised by how collected my voice came.

I was a shaky mess inside. My insides were shivering, and my hand was a beating mess. My feet were cold, and I could've swore someone dumped a bucket of ice bucket on me.

His lips curled into an unkind smile slowly, amusement filling his cold eyes. Nodding to himself, his smile widened even more. "Deny it all you want, your eyes don't lie anyway. You should know that by now." He stated casually, almost as if he could see right through me.