Chapter 5

Nailah Zayed.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

This is going to be hell. Trust me.

I mean, handling this Ayaan guy alone will be a handful. I know that already. However, considering the leech Basma just happens to be with him, I wasn't sure how I'm supposed to handle the situation.

It's a good thing she's not holding onto him like a koala I guess. I wouldn't have been surprised if they had turned up that way. I have zero expectations from the guy when it comes to this—it isn't any of my concern after all.

When it comes to Basma though, I definitely have expectations from her in regards to that. It's something she's capable of doing. So, I wouldn't be surprised if she actually acts upon it.

"Ready?" Imran's voice came, putting an instant halt to my train of thoughts. His head turned to the side, so his eyes will fall on me.

I swallowed thickly, quickly masking my expression. For the first time, I was actually worried about my task, and truth be told, I can't help but feel like my justification is ridiculous. It's just a feeling though.

Nonetheless, I met his gaze and offered him a firm nod. "Let's get this over and done with." I stated, already stepping into my role.

Why should I be scared?

I am Nailah Zayed for crying out loud.

I never fail. This is my field, and more or less, this is my event. Fear? I don't know what that word is. It's right next to nonexistent in my dictionary.

Slipping my hand into his outstretched arm, we both casually strolled towards the direction of the guest of the night. The people parted way for us wordlessly, giving us enough path to reach our destination. I didn't miss the feel of their gazes following our every movement.

I don't blame them. If I was in their shoes, I definitely would've stared too. Aside from being the picture perfect couple, Imran and I were undeniably a force to be reckoned with. Just a glance at us, and you could tell.

We came to a stop once we stood in front of the two—I didn't pay attention to the woman whom I'm still wondering who invited, and instead, focused my gaze on the man no one here has laid eyes on till now.

Imran was the first to make a move. He extended his hand out for a handshake, which was reciprocated before he offered him a small smile. "Mr. Fadel. It's nice to meet your acquaintance."

"I know it is. Mr..." You've got to be kidding me. Is he doing this intentionally? Because there's no way he accepted this invitation not knowing who Imran is.

I held back a scoff. I won't lie. I feel utterly insulted on Imran's behalf.

And what's with that reply of his?

"Hadi." Imran stated, seemingly not sharing the same feeling as me. I wouldn't be so sure though. Imran can be unpredictable at times. I wouldn't put it past him to be able to guard his expression to the point that no one can be able to read him. "Imran Hadi."

Even I find him hard to understand most time. And I've known him for about half my life already.

"President of Hadi Groups?" Ayaan offered him a smug smile back, shaking his hand for what I feel like is a bit longer than necessary. "I've heard about you before. You're our host tonight, right?" I'm itching to wipe that smug look off his face with the back of my heels.

Now seeing him on his feet, he could easily stand about the same height as Imran and undoubtedly, both men exude about the same exuberant energy. The only difference being, Ayaan's mere presence demands attention. How that is possible is beyond me. He carried himself with an aura that showed he knew his worth, and boy is he having a little too much fun showcasing it.