Chapter 9

Ayaan Fadel.

Maroudi, Nigeria.

I'd admit, Basma's a much better person than I anticipated. She could've been pretending—I thought of that possibility, but I'd like to believe otherwise.

Another thing I didn't expect though, was for my mother to ask me to take her to the Maroudi Summit as my partner. That definitely wasn't planned either, and I'm not proud to admit that. It may not seem like it, but I had everything carefully planned—and that doesn't include the changes my mother is piquing in here and there.

I brought it on myself though, so I can't complain even if I wanted to.

I knew it would cause a stir. So, I weighed the pros and cons before coming to a decision. Taking her with me might cause enough turbulence—at least, enough for a jaw dropping first appearance.

Who would expect that Ayaan Fadel will show up with Basma Wambai, right? Dating, and marriage scandals would sprout up...rightfully so. However, that won't be the plan.

I'm not stupid. I know what I'm doing.

So, that's how she and I ended up attending the summit together. She agreed easily, and my conclusion is, she's doing this for her image too. It would do her immensely good to be seen with me both for herself as an individual and for her brand too.

It's a win-win for everyone. At least, for now it is.

I had zero intention of staying there for long though. I was simply there to make an appearance...say, to leave a first impression and I think I pretty much left one to remember—at least, to the people I have in mind.

If I am being honest, the Summit was boring. It's been hyped way too much in my opinion. As of the guests, the decor and everything related, I admit, they went all out and it was all good. However, the people aren't exactly ones I would want to associate myself with.

The good ones are already friends, and partners of mine. The others turned out to not be worth much, and I have zero plans of wasting my precious time on people like that. Basma doesn't agree though, because by the time I left, she seemed to be doing pretty well on her own.

And no, I didn't bid her farewell either.

Doing that might give her the wrong impression, and I'm certain she knows I have no feelings for her like that. It's purely business, and perhaps, friendship even. I owe her that for at least saving me from my mother's rants for a day—since that can't be counted as a business meeting.

Anyway, I've goofed around for two days already, and play time's over. Jokes and my mother aside, I have a serious issue at hand and a plan long laid and carefully crafted for nearly a decade. Me messing around for my first two days here is simply nothing but a chance for me to observe my enemies and allies.

To know who I'm up against irrespective of what the papers say.

And now I know. So, I decided to get moving.

The sound of something being hit, and an object immediately sent flying in the air caught my attention. My eyes zeroed on it, just in time the flying object fell and landed in the exact position it's needed—signifying a goal.

"Not bad." I commented, coming to stand beside the man who swung his club and sent the golf ball flying. Flexing my fingers, I shifted the club I held to my left hand. "Mind if I join you?"

His head turned to the side first, and after making sure he indeed got his goal right, he finally turned around to give me his undivided attention. "To what do I owe this pleasure, Mr. Fadel?" He inquired, his tone monotonous.