Rewiring my body to forget him will take more than three months.

My sister looks happy to have bullied me into accepting the number. I can't be mad at her when she's only looking after me.

We enjoy the rest of the weekend and video chat mom. She's happy to see her daughters thriving, and although I used to tell her everything when I was in school, I don't have the backbone to mention Henry.

I head home on Sunday. I enjoy the rest of the peaceful day on my couch with the curtains open and the sun streaming in.

My phone dings, and I pick it up assuming that Nurliana texted me to ensure I got home safely. I'm surprised to find an unknown number.

Hey Leila. Your sister gave me your number and said it was alright to text you. How are you?

Nurliana can see right through me. She knew I wasn't going to text this guy and had him text me instead. What was his name again? Joseph?

I lock my phone and sigh. I don't think I'm ready to date, but maybe a drink or two won't hurt. Maybe a friendship with this mystery man will speed up the healing process.

After a long shower, I pick my phone up and reply to him. I find myself chuckling. The police officer is certainly a witty guy. Nurliana was right. I like his sense of humor.

We text over the next week. I find myself automatically picking my phone up during lunch at work. Although I don't feel much of a spark romantically yet, there's a thrill to getting to know him. To tease each other.

It's Friday night when he asks me to grab drinks. I've seen his picture but haven't video chatted with him yet. A face-to-face date sounds nerve-wrecking.

I tell Nurliana, and she threatens to disown me if I don't agree. So with my breath caught, I accepted the date. Then I spend the next hour tearing my closet apart for something to wear. Because although I've been a mess for most of this year, I cannot look like one, too.

I choose tight jeans and a flirty top. I made it clear to him that I want to take things very slow. So there's no need for me to bring out my push-up bra just yet.

I nod at my reflection in the mirror, proud of myself for being open to new things. For allowing excitement to spark in my belly once again.

Then I grab my purse and head outside to meet Joseph at the bar. Except that as soon as I close my apartment door, I know this night will not go as planned. Because standing outside my door is none other than—

"Grace?" I practically hiss.

What the hell is she doing here?! I haven't heard from her in months. And I was hoping things would stay that way.

She leans against the railing, her bottom lip between her teeth and her arms crossed over her chest.

"Hey."

"What are you doing here?" I ask, not interested in pleasantries.

She stands straight, her midi dress swirling around her knees. "Listen, I would have tried texting but obviously you blocked me."

I can't believe she's actually here.

"I heard you're not with Hector. I've been trying to contact him as well but he doesn't answer, so I need—" she clears her throat and drops her gaze. It's clearly a blow to her ego to be here asking me for anything.

"I need you to convince me to call me."

"Why the fuck would I do that?" I ask, torn between laughing and yelling.

She reaches into her purse and pulls out a wad of cash. "I'll compensate for your—"

I slap the money out of her hand when she extends it to me, and the cash flies everywhere.

How dare she come to my home after I've finally found some stability and try to use me for her schemes? Even in the end, she's trying to keep me as a pawn on her game board.

She glares at me. "Are you stupid? That was two thousand dollars!"

"Get the fuck out of here, you snake," I growl and step closer, stomping over her money to corner her.

She shoves my chest away, making a disgusted sound. And this time my hand flies out and catches her cheek. She shrieks and throws her hands at me, and instantly we begin to brawl.

My neighbor's door flies open. I don't know how many minutes I'm slapping Grace around and blocking her blows. But I make sure to get a good grab of her hair and pull her to the ground to drag her over her dirty money.

The police arrive and pull us apart. I'm panting—a complete mess. I lost control big time, but god, it felt good. I felt alive. Relieved to release this angry demon inside of me.

The high tapers off as I'm handcuffed and led to the police cruiser.

Grace follows in a different cruiser, and we're both begrudgingly taken to the nearest precinct. I try to calm my breathing in the car. Try to tell myself that it will all work out.

I screwed up by choosing violence, but part of me regrets nothing.

At the precinct, the small amount of calmness I found completely shatters. Because as soon as I step out of the car, I find two familiar faces:

Joseph and Henry. My date and my ex-boss.