NEW PERSPECTIVE

⁂

THE END OF SEASON BALL WAS UPON THEM. This time though, The Duke had a match.

Within her room at Tintagel, sunlight filtered through the golden drapes, casting a warm glow over the carpet. Violet, stood in her undergarments, waiting for the arrival of her dress. She looked at herself in the mirror, her hair rather unruly and wavy, not yet done up in her classic tight curls. The door opened, however Violet's expectations of the maid's were shattered when Guy Thwarte's figure unexpectedly entered, sprawling across the double bed, oblivious to her.

It was only when he glanced up that he noted Violet's presence, his gaze having drifted to the array of dresses strewn across the floor.

"They've assigned you the yellow room instead of me, it seems," he remarked, pushing himself upright, a slight sense of jealousy in the voice that Theo had more than one friend now.

"I suppose Theo deems your friendship more important now.." he quipped before trailing off "although far less clothed.." his eyes meeting Violet's as she stood partially dressed before him.

A moment of awkward silence lingered before Guy, suddenly conscious, finally shielded his eyes and ran towards the door, realising that he shouldn't be starring.

"Guy," Violet called out, attempting to stop him.

"Please, don't ruin this for Theo," she implored her brow furrowing in concern, referencing what Violet had seen at the proposal. She saw the way Guy's eyes glimmered in Nan's presence or the way he was always looking at her even as she walked away. She saw the way that Guy's face seemed to brighten when he spoke about her and how he seemed to stand a little taller in her presence. She knew what love looked like, and she saw it when Guy looked at Nan.

With a heavy sigh and a solemn expression, Guy nodded before exiting the room leaving Violet to get ready.

After slipping into her dress and placing her pearl necklace on, Violet found herself standing at the door of Nan St. George, the soon-to-be Duchess. While she didn't know her all that well, Violet couldn't help but sense a shift in Nan since their initial meeting. Once vibrant and self-assured, Nan was now reserved and quiet.

"Miss Bennet," Nan greeted, her surprise evident as she opened the door, her eyes widening at the sight of Violet.

"We performed a shoe heist together, I think you can call me Violet" she offered with a warm smile, aiming to dispense with formality. "Can I come in? I'd like to have a word with you."

"Of course," Nan replied, ushering the blonde inside and gesturing towards a seat at the edge of her bed, inviting conversation.

"Is everything alright?" Nan inquired, breaking the silence.