LONG STORY SHORT

WITH VIOLET'S ASSISTANCE IN KNOWING NAN'S FULL NAME, they quickly learned of her current whereabouts—Runnymede, where she was attending a soirée hosted by Conchita Closson. Armed with this information, Theo wasted no time, setting off almost immediately. Violet insisted on accompanying him, eager to witness her friend's engagement, especially given her role in facilitating it.

Runnymede exuded beauty, boasting a grand house and expansive gardens covered with ivy and roses. Violet felt like it embodied peace. While she meandered through the lush greenery, captivated by the fluttering butterflies and vibrant flowers. Lost in her thoughts, she envisioned the picturesque scene, contemplating how she might capture the beauty of the ivy-clad brick and the shimmering water nearby on canvas. As she wandered, Violet found herself lost in a daydream, navigating the garden until she stumbled upon the heartfelt proposal unfolding before her.

A snapped branch jolted her, prompting her turn toward the sound. To her surprise, Guy Thwarte stood nearby, mirroring her observation of the scene. Why did they keep meeting like this.

She noticed the way he stared at Nan and the sadness in his eyes as Theo kneeled down to propose.

"You're too late" Violet murmured into his ear, catching him off guard with her presence.

He lingered for a moment, silently, choosing not to speak and then he turned away, opting to retreat rather than be embarrassed anymore. Violet frowned at his sadness.

As Nan gleefully accepted Theo's proposal, Violet observed the rush of excitement among the other partygoers, many of whom appeared to be Nan's close friends, rushing towards her to admire her newly adorned ring.

With a soft smile, Violet made her way through the crowd, her eyes briefly meeting Theo's and Nan's, registering Nan's surprise at her presence.

"Congratulations," Violet offered, her smile genuine, before casting a glance around the bustling gathering.

Among the familiar faces from the Debutante ball, her gaze snagged on the one person she had hoped never to encounter again. She hadn't anticipated crossing paths with him after their engagement had ended. His blonde hair and flushed cheeks were etched into her memory, a sight she could never erase.

For a fleeting moment, Violet felt rooted to the spot she stood, locked in an unexpected gaze with the man who seemed equally taken aback by their encounter. He made a subtle move, drawing the blonde girl—Nan's sister, Violet recalled—from the ball, closer to him, the glint of an engagement ring catching Violet's eye.