Frustrations

I was in the practice fields with Luke attempting to get more practice in with my wings. Like Luke predicted, they were gray and huge. Although invisible and unnoticeable when not in use, their gorgeous appearance comes when we take flight or need them to fight.

They are strong and powerful. Their large size reaches my shoulders and extends down to the ground where the tips graze the grass as I walk. It took me a long time to get used to these wings and gain the strength to be able to lift myself. Luke hated seeing me fall as I tried to get used to using these new muscles.

But now I'm better and can soar around the fields with confidence and ease. Luke and Zeb have been working with me and teaching me new tricks and battle techniques with my wings.

I thought fighting on the ground was hard. You don't even want to know how difficult it is in the air.

"Lily- try to take out both Zeb and I at the same time." Luke's beautiful black wings were almost twice the width of mine. They were huge and strong. Zeb's were smaller than Luke's but still larger than mine. I nodded and gave my wings a hard stroke so I could go into the air. I found an air current that would boost my speed and stayed in the air until I was ready to strike.

Zeb and Luke slowly circled around me. I closed my eyes and listened to the rhythmic fluttering of their wings. I honed in on their pattern and got ready to notice any changes to signal that they were about to strike.

Suddenly, Zeb's wings went out of rhythm behind me and I quickly whipped around in time to see him speeding towards me. I used the current of air to avoid him. He nicked my wing and I lost a few feet in altitude.

Luke gave me no time to fix that as he hurled towards me head first. He flapped his wings and stopped, turning his body around and kicking me in the chest. I fell as the air came out of my lungs, but right before hitting the ground I whipped my wings to slow my momentum and my feet slammed to the ground. I quickly pushed off, straining my wings to give me speed. My quick recovery shocked Luke enough to allow me to reach him before he recovered. He blocked my hits and I felt Zeb coming up behind me.

When he got close, I quickly folded my wings and dropped down. Zeb slammed into Luke.

I quickly realized my mistake as they crashed and started to drop. I acted on instinct and teleported before they fell onto me.

I appeared next to where I was but I was still getting used to teleporting in air and didn't right myself in time before falling and crashing into the ground.

"LILY!" Zeb yelled out. I heard two sets of wings quickly racing towards me. I fell on my side and the impact shattered my arm. I groaned and whimpered as I felt the bones try to set themselves and heal.

Luke landed first in my line of sight. His face was empty but his eyes showed fear and concern. I nodded at him and he crouched next to me and stroked my hair.

"Are you okay?" Zeb asked as he landed. 

"Fine." I hissed through clenched teeth as I felt the final bones snapping into place.

"You were risky. You shouldn't have tried to teleport yet in air that fast. We are still working on that." I know Luke was just concerned from his face but his nagging irritated me.

"I know that." I snapped back as I shrugged off his hand and sat up. My vision blurred a bit from my quick action but I shook my head and stood up. My body was still sore but that would quickly fade now it was done healing my arm.

"You could've hurt yourself a lot more or ended up somewhere random or stuck in a damn tree for all we know. This is practice. Not time to show off." Luke sternly said as he tried to help me stand.