25) Get out of the city

"Evening, Grace," Kezia greets, walking into the pub, the barmaid was wiping down the counter, but turns when she hears Kez's voice.

"Evening, Kez," Grace smiles.

"Mind if I grab a glass?" Kezia asks.

"No, help yourself," Grace says, "is everything okay?"

"No," Kez states, walking behind the bar.

"Anything I can help with?" Grace asks, watching as Kezia places her bottle of whiskey on the side, reaching for a glass, staying silent as she fills the glass up, before turning to look at Grace, "what would you do if you were in my position?"

"What position is that?" Grace responds.

"My sister has just had a child, the father arrives, and minutes later... the police are there arresting him, my sister thinks I had something to do with it, but I don't. My aunt, my sister and Bea all think it was Tommy and I who did this, hell even John and Arthur probably agree." Kezia says, "you put me in this position, Grace, why the fuck did you call the cops?"

"I didn't-"

"Don't lie to me," Kez scoffs, "you were there when Bea told me, and everyone else who knows has either been pre-occupied with the baby or sat drinking in the snug. You're the only one who could have possibly had time to call the cops. Why? And why for this? You've seen me shoot a man, you know I killed someone outside the pub, but you didn't tell them that otherwise I'd be in jail. Why, Grace?"

"I needed money, they were offering cash for anyone with information on Freddie, I didn't think it'd end up like this, I swear, Kez, I know I shouldn't have, and I am sorry," Grace says.

"You didn't think it'd end up like what? You didn't think they'd arrest a well-known communist? You didn't think Ada would be left as a single mother? You didn't think she'd blame us? She's already been difficult to contact, you've basically ensured she'll refuse to fucking speak to me," Kezia exclaims, "you didn't think we'd find out it was you?"

"I didn't think your family would ostracise you," Grace states.

"This isn't about me! Don't get me wrong, I'm fucking pissed my family blame me. But you've just fucked over a family, you've taken a father from his child," Kezia says, "you've left Ada to try and raise a newborn by herself. She won't accept our help. That's what I'm angry at Grace, what you've done to my sister, you could have got me arrested, that wouldn't have bothered me, I knew that could be a possibility, I knew shooting someone in front of you would have that risk, but I did it anyways. Ada has done nothing wrong and you've fucked her and an innocent baby over."

Kezia downs her glass of whiskey before taking a deep breath, looking at Grace and shrugging, "I would have given you the money if you needed it. You just needed to tell me, but instead you sold us out."

"I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking, my landlord was breathing down my neck suggesting other things I could do to pay him back, I was too embarrassed to come to you, I just, I needed the cash, and I needed it quickly," Grace explains.

"You should have told me this before now," Kezia states, "I would have done something, I could have made your life easier, but it means nothing now, Grace. Your excuses mean fuck all. What else have you told them?"

"Nothing," Grace answers.

"It still doesn't make sense to me why you'd tell them about Freddie but not about me," Kezia says.

"Does it have to make sense?" Grace responds.

"Yes, because you probably would have been given more money if you'd sold me out, if you'd stated you had witnessed me shoot a man," Kezia replies, "I don't get it, Grace."

"I wouldn't..." Grace whispers, "Kez, the things I've seen you do will go with me to my grave. I wouldn't tell the cops, I wouldn't tell anyone."

"Why?" Kez exclaims.

"Is it not fucking obvious?" Grace shouts back, "I love you, Kez. That's why I would never tell them about you or what you've done. I was stupid enough to fall in love with you."

"Bullshit," Kez scoffs.

"Excuse me?" Grace replies.

"If you did in fact love me, you wouldn't have even thought of going to the coppers about something to do with my family," Kezia says, "it would be futile for me to deny that before tonight, I did care for you, I could never love you, but I did care, that should have been fucking obvious, you think I would have said no if you asked for money? I would have battered your landlord into the ground if you'd have just told me he was making you uncomfortable. You had options, Grace, and if you loved me, I would've been the option you chose."

"You don't get to tell me how to feel, Kez! Love can be irrational, and sometimes the most obvious option is the one that gets missed. But you don't get to tell me that I love you any less for not coming to you," Grace exclaims, "you don't have to love me, but you don't get to tell me that I don't love you."

"You've paid your rent for this month?" Kezia queries.

"Yes, barely, the money is for next month," Grace replies.

"No," Kezia states, "you can stay in the city for this month, don't pay next month's rent, get the fuck out of the city. Take your money, continue working here a few weeks, but don't you dare think of staying any longer than this month's rent lasts. I'm being generous here, Grace, I could have taken a very different route."

"Kez-"

"I don't want to hear another excuse out of you," Kezia says, "I won't make you waste your money on a month's rent only to not stay for the month, especially if you're already struggling with money. But start looking for a place far away, because if I see you here in a month's time, you do not want to know what will happen. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes," Grace nods.

"Good," Kezia says, grabbing her bottle of whiskey, walking towards the pub doors, Kez looks over her shoulder at Grace who was sat on a stool crying and scoffs before storming out of the establishment.