CHAPTER SEVEN

SIMBA

I swear my woman has magical powers. Her ability to remain so calm even under the most anger-inducing situation had always amazed me. I would have never handled this problem with Layla in the same way.

I watched her closely as she took her seat next to me, keeping her calm cool and collected exterior. We all dug in and enjoyed the feast.

Sade's feast was amazing. From the rack of lamb to the garlic mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables. I ate so much, that I hardly had any room for the chocolate brownie and ice cream that was going to be served for dessert.

Kianga leaned back in her chair with a dramatic sigh and adjusted her cargo pants."I need to smoke before I pick up another spoon."

Alora bopped her head in agreement as Zuri took out a lighter and flicked it a few times. "I'm ready when you ladies are."

The women disappeared somewhere in Alora's penthouse suite and the gents poured another round of drinks and moved to sit in the living room.

"Where's your head at?" Alora's older brother Nkosi asked as I settled into the couch.

I shook my head and took a sip of my cognac. "I don't know man. I trust her judgement but something about this whole thing isn't sitting right with me."

"She's shaky." Nkosi agreed. We spent the next few minutes discussing the best way forward and catching up.

Nkosi was getting ready to take over the family business for his father. Someone being able to easily break into his sister's office was an immediate problem. Alora is known for being untouchable. She was the keeper of all secrets in our world, everyone would have something to lose if even a hair on her gorgeous head were misplaced. Without being her client or having cleared access to her practice, it was impossible to even be within a close radius of her. She had multiple bodyguards and a personal guard that watched her every move.

Sade and Zuri walked into the living room with a bunch of giggles. Sade took a seat next to her husband and Zuri grabbed a glass of water before taking a seat on the armchair.

"Where's Alora?" I asked my sister before finishing my drink and placing it on the coffee table. She pointed her finger upwards and didn't say a word.

I took the elevator to the top floor and paused in the hallway trying to hear where she might be. I heard hushed voices in the direction of her living room. The room was dim with warm lights illuminating parts of the room and the glass balcony door was ajar.

As I approached the balcony, I heard Kianga's loud voice. "Why not?!"

"I can't tell you! God."I heard my girlfriend's frustrated voice. "You know this! Why are you making this so difficult?" She rarely raised her voice.

"We don't do secrets Alora." She simply stated, "That hun pulled a gun to your head and you expect me to not go through with my assignment?"

"You can't kill her." I heard my girlfriend's voice from the balcony. "Y-"

I had heard enough, I fully opened the door "Kill who?" I stepped outside with my eyes fixated on Alora. She knew I hated her getting her hands dirty. If she needed something taken care of, she could always come to me. She knows that. Has that much time passed that she doesn't need me anymore?

"No one," Kianga said in a tone that didn't leave room for questions. She was talking to me but her threatening gaze didn't leave Alora's direction. I know they're best friends but Kay needs to watch how she speaks to my woman.

"Listen, I get he's your soulmate and whatever." She whispered "But not a word, Lora. I mean it. This is business."

She walked out the room, without giving me a second glance. "Did I do something wrong?" I glanced at her before closing the sliding door.