CHAPTER ONE

ALORA

"I think you need some chamomile tea, something to ease your nerves." My friend Kianga suggested, noticing that I was feeling anxious. I adjusted the straps of my personalised bridesmaid silk gown and tied it tight around my waist.

Today, my older brother was getting married to her older sister. The wedding of the season, as people have been saying for the past eleven months. My parent's estate had been buzzing with people for a whole week now. Kianga and I were waiting for our turn to do our makeup, and then get dressed. My long curly wig was already tied into a fish braided at the nape of my neck with a two loose curly strands that hung in front of my face.

My face involuntary scrunched up into a scowl  "Chamomile tea?" My voice reflected my disbelief. "I need a joint Kia. That's what I need. Have you seen my lighter?" I started rummaging through the contents of my bag trying to find my lighter.

Kianna sighed and passed me her own beige zippo lighter. "Sade won't like this." She said, referring to the bride. She placed her hands on her waist as she gave a disapproving look. "And I want that lighter back." She pointed her French-tip manicured index finger in my direction and gave me a disapproving look.

"Please. Sade wishes she was smoking right now." I rolled my eyes and stepped out onto the balcony. Kianga followed close behind me.

"Are we still not talking about the love of your life attending the wedding?" Kianga asked with a small smile on her round face. "And he's the reason that you are acting extra bitchy today?"

"You know, just because 'your voice sounds like this'" I mimicked her high pitched tone "And you have a smile on your face, it doesn't mean you can say whatever you want." I told her and lit my joint.

"Just because a man has you tweaking, doesn't mean you have to be a bitch." She glared at me.

I sighed and exhaled the smoke through my nose, feeling a bit calmer. "I'm sorry Kia."

"I get it. You're freaking out." She nodded her head and leaned against the balcony railing.

"I'm freaking the fuck out. I mean, what the hell is he doing back here after all these years." I sighed and took another pull before passing the blunt to Kia. "I finally had him out of my mind and way out of my heart, and now I have to see him."

"Was he really?" She took a pull from the joint before she continued "Out of sight, out of mind?"

The knock on the main door caught my attention and I paused before answering her question. The door opened and Sade gracefully walked in. "What are you two doing outside?" Sade's voice got louder as she came closer. Her eyes widened at the sight of the two of us smoking but she seemed relieved at the same time. "Oh, Thank God!"

Kia offered her the joint and she took a long pull. "I'm losing my shit! And I can't drink because I don't want to be drunk at my own wedding."

"She's a lightweight." Kianga shook her head as she explained. "It would turn into a messy wedding, real quick."

Sade's dark brown skin was covered with glam makeup, her eyelids were shimmering from her sparkly light brown eyeshadow and her cheeks glowed with a golden shimmer when she stepped into the sunlight. I didn't think it was possible for her to be more beautiful. Her thirty inch long lace wig was tied up into a neat high bun, with a white gold floral hair pin crowning the front. "You look gorgeous." I complimented her, "Why are you freaking out? Isn't this the happiest day of your life?"

Her brown matte lips broke into the biggest smile I've ever seen as she replied, "It is! I can't wait to walk down that aisle and straight into my man's arms." She sighed happily before taking another pull and passing me the joint. "It doesn't stop the nerves though. Seeing my whole family, with his, I mean your whole family. And your family is huge Lora."