chapter sixteen • the storm II

"𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒔𝒐 𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒊𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒚, 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒘𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒘𝒉𝒚."

{ - Jefferson Bethke

There is something in silence that Seungmin can't seem to escape from. The impeding doom of the world and the weight silence puts on him reminds him of that day he should've died. When he realized the one's who took him in, betted on a losing dog. The world seemed to silence itself when the goblin's sword nearly missed Chan's abdomen, but stabbed him clean through his right arm. Chan made a loud pained noise, but the silence in Seungmin's ears was so loud it barely registered in his mind. Chan had gotten so tired and let his guard down enough that Seungmin got the better of him, but Seungmin was the one who was also tired. Tired of all this. Tired of being fed lies, Chan being angry at him, feeling uncertain about his own memories, and most of all, Seungmin was tired of Gwijae. This world has done nothing, but give him pain and suffering, losing life after life like it was a tragic comedy play. Except, the gods are the only ones laughing. 

Seungmin's legs give out, knees meeting the harsh stones below, and Chan going down with him. Seungmin didn't move anymore, didn't take the sword out, much to Chan's relief, didn't move a muscle. He was simply too tired. Chan tried to make eye contact with him, reaching out for the other, only to pause his hand midway. "I know you hate me and reasonably so. I didn't realize why I treated you the way I did until recently and even then, I realize how ridiculous I've been." Chan placed his hand back in his lap, grunting slightly at the reminder that a literal sword was sticking out of his arm. "Despite what I said, I don't actually believe it. My judgement was clouded by grief and you were the first one I could blame besides myself. I wanted to believe you were this terrible person, that you were the reason I showed even a moment of weakness, but it was my own fault. I failed to protect myself and I failed to protect you."

Seungmin didn't seem quite there, but his eyes were flashed from green to brown every once in a while, showing Chan that he was listening. "E-Even now, I'm failing it seems." Chan gripped above the sword wound tightly, hoping to stop any blood flow. The pain was turning into a burning feeling and he knew what that meant. "You need to know that whatever you believe you've done, you're wrong. I know it in my heart that you are a good person. Felix, Han, Hyunjin, Minho, Jeongin, and so many others see the good in you. You need to see it too." Seungmin finally looked at Chan, silent tears ran down his face, and the green shone brightly. "How do you know!? How can you be so sure? These memories tell me differently, they show me the crimes I have committed! I cannot atone for them, just because you say so!" It was silent for a moment, but then .. Chan started to laugh. It was a weak, but joyful sound. 

"Do you feel it? That guilt and uncertainty? Because I can see it clearly in your eyes." Chan felt a sting from the wound again, trying to keep his composure. "Gwijae is lying to you. It may seem like a weak assumption, but I've seen the effects of what Minho and Felix have been through, I wouldn't put it past him if he altered your memories to help him win a battle he knows that he's already lost." Chan smiled at the other. Seungmin was baffled, unsure what this feeling he felt was. When Seungmin said nothing more, Chan looked even more pale, like he was about to pass out. "Good people can do bad things, but no matter what, you will always be good to me, Minnie. I-I'm s-sor-" But Chan could say nothing more and collapsed. Seungmin's spell seemed to snap in half and the screaming in his head became a real scream. "No!" Seungmin yelled, his eyes now a deep brown as he frantically goes to check Chan's heartbeat. It was faint, but still there. Seungmin looked around to see everyone occupied, unable to help him. 

That's when a thought occurred to him and he teleported Chan and Himself somewhere he knew he'd be safe. "Dahyun!! I need you!!"