chapter one • beside a lake

" 𝑵𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒍𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕, 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒎𝒚 𝒔𝒂𝒅𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔. 𝑨𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅, 𝒇𝒂𝒓 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒋𝒐𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒍𝒂𝒅𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔. 𝑨𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒆𝒅 𝒇𝒂𝒓 𝒇𝒓𝒐𝒎 𝒋𝒐𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒍𝒂𝒅𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔, 𝒎𝒚 𝒔𝒆𝒏𝒔𝒆𝒔 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒍. 𝑨 𝒃𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒊𝒓𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒗𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔 𝒎𝒆, 𝑵𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒆𝒍𝒚 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕, 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒎𝒚 𝒔𝒂𝒅𝒏𝒆𝒔𝒔. "

 {-Pyotr Tchailovsky

The night air was cold as winter was right around the corner, leaves almost completely fallen from their respective branches. The lake water was gray and the grass had browned. Yet, Felix sat beside the lake staring into the water, hoping that his hibernating water nymphs would return sooner rather than later. For the past five years, that's how it always was, they'd keep Felix company in the spring and summer seasons, but as soon as mid-autumn came around, it was time for their long rest during the cold seasons. Felix barely saw any of the forest nymphs during the cold seasons either, so as you can imagine, it is very lonely when winter comes around. Felix usually just spends his days beside the lake, not caring whether it was freezing and his bare feet would turn blue, despite the broken down castle he was forced to live in, it wasn't much warmer, so Felix stopped caring at this point. Snow and rain, Felix stayed beside the lake whether in the castle or down by the shore.

Trapped for five years now ... or maybe it was more. Felix honestly stopped counting after the fourth year, the changing seasons being his only calendar. His heart hadn't been happy for over five years and his sense of freedom fizzled out ages ago. What was he to do? Felix had no magic, no knowledge of magic. No one knew where he was and the one person who did, well ...

"Lonely already, Lixie?"

At the sound of the familiar voice, his heart dropped to his stomach and cracked just a little more. "How could I, with you always around, Minho." Minho laughed darkly, unamused. Felix turned around to look at the other when he didn't get a snap back. Minho was tall, poised, and dressed in an all black hanbok, opposite of Felix's white. His hair jet black and eyes red as the sash across his waist. "What? No clap back this time? Do you actually like keeping me company, Minnie?" Felix half-heartedly teased, but Minho just scoffed. "Right, like I want to spend time with the person I hate the most. No, boss just wants me to be nicer to you for a bit." Felix ignored the pain in his heart, a pain he was all to familiar with, and came to a quick realization. 

"What does he want from me? He's already trapped you and me here, cursed us, what more could he want?" Felix asked, looking back to the water. Minho circled around to stand beside the crisscrossed individual, the usual sneer on his face that Felix had unfortunately become accustomed to. "How should I know? Why would I care?" Minho snapped back, but Felix could tell he was holding back because of the lack of swearing. "I wish you did care." Felix mumbled to himself. Minho didn't care for the mumbling.

Grabbing Felix by the collar, Minho pulled him to standing, forcing him to make eye contact. "You know how I hate your damned mumbling, repeat yourself." Minho spat out. Felix didn't have the energy to fight him anymore, after as many years as he'd tried. Felix simply reached out and brushed a piece of hair out of Minho's face, causing him to flinch, red eyes glaring. "I said that I wish you did care." Felix said calmly, "I miss you, Minho and I hope one day he'll release you, even if that means wiping any memory of me away. I wish you could care about being free."

Minho laughed again, this time actually amused by the others sappy sentiment. "I don't need your pity, swan. You did this to me, didn't you? You killed who I was and there's no take-backsies for that, right, Lixie?" A cruel smile spread across his face, having thrown Felix back on the ground, not giving him enough time to catch himself. Felix wanted to cry, scream, anything, but he didn't allow himself too, he had to keep his guard up.