chapter 5

Marcus stood vigilant outside the brothel, his gaze unwavering as he scanned the surroundings for any sign of Matteo Lewis. The air was thick with tension, and the bustling streets of Sparkbrook seemed to hold their breath in anticipation. As he maintained his post, the girls from the brothel, mischievous and playful, couldn't resist teasing him.

They sauntered over, their laughter carrying through the air, as they playfully pestered Marcus. "Come on, Marcus, don't be so serious! Join us for a bit of fun," one of them quipped, a mischievous glint in her eye.

The others joined in, their playful banter creating a lively atmosphere. "You're missing out, Marcus. Loosen up a bit!" another chimed in, attempting to sway him with a seductive smile.

Despite their persistent teasing, Marcus remained steadfast, his focus undeterred. He exchanged a brief, amused glance with the girls but stood his ground, a formidable guardian on the outskirts of the brothel. The playful banter served as a temporary distraction from the seriousness of their duties, but Marcus remained resolute, fully aware of the importance of his watchful presence in the unpredictable streets of Sparkbrook.

-------

In the bustling streets of Birmingham, Thomas Shelby had found himself unexpectedly drawn to the mysterious woman he had just met. As he remembered their eyes that had locked for the first time, an inexplicable sensation gripped him — a peculiar feeling that transcended the ordinary. Her presence resonated with an unusual intensity, leaving Thomas with a sense that she held a power beyond the apparent.

The woman's gaze had held an enigmatic depth, and though their encounter was brief, it left an indelible mark on Thomas. As they had exchanged pleasantries, he couldn't shake the notion that her destiny might be intertwined with something significant. A subtle current of anticipation lingered in the air, hinting at a future where this woman, whose name he had yet to learn, would rise to wield a formidable influence over Birmingham.

Despite the peculiarity of the encounter, Thomas Shelby found himself intrigued by the enigma wrapped around the woman. Little did he know, this initial meeting would set in motion a series of events that would reshape the landscape of his world in unforeseen ways.

------

"Ever since Thomas Shelby sent Marcus here, all the girls have been lusting for him," Natasha laughed, a sense of sympathy for the boy being pestered by the women of the brothel. "Oi! Leave him alone; come inside," she called the girls over from the balcony.

Evara, quiet, focused on Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol," her mind drifting to the luxury of being literate, unlike most of the other girls in the brothel who never had the opportunity.

"Hey Evara, these girls have fallen for him," Natasha said as she braided her hair into two.

"Why do it for free when you can get paid for it?" Doreen mentioned as she sat in the corner, painting her toes a cherry red.

The girls in the room giggled and laughed, not knowing the new man their madam was bringing to them as she crept up the stairs. Entering the room, all eyes fell on her.

"Evara... Matteo Lewis is here," she revealed.

The air thickened with tension and anxiety, a palpable undercurrent of fear and rage permeating the atmosphere. The news of Matteo Lewis's arrival had cast a shadow over their usual camaraderie, replacing it with a sense of unease that hung heavily in the room. As the girls huddled together, the madam, with her usual nonchalant demeanor, delivered the news with a gravity that echoed through the space.

"What do you want to do?" the madam asked, unbothered, taking a sip of Irish whiskey.

"What do you mean?" Natasha asked, confounded that their madam was unbothered. She stood up, taking her ground. "You are our madam. Tell that monster to leave! After everything he has done, you think we will send our Evara back to him?" she scoffed, fury lingering across her face. "Never!"