chapter 4

There he was.

Thomas Shelby, the formidable leader of the Shelby crime family, navigated the turbulent waters of post-World War I Birmingham with a steely demeanor that betrayed little emotion. His every move exuded a calculated and strategic precision, an outward facade that concealed the complexity beneath the surface. Thomas' sharp mind and cunning instincts were his greatest assets, allowing him to thrive in a world where power was brokered through ruthless tactics. His stoic expression seldom wavered, even in the face of adversity, as he approached challenges with a cold determination that left those around him guessing at the depth of his true intentions. Thomas Shelby's reactions were measured, responses delivered with a deliberate calm that hinted at a mind constantly at work, plotting and scheming in pursuit of greater ambitions. His enigmatic behavior, a blend of charm and ruthlessness, contributed to the magnetic allure that defined the indomitable presence of the Shelby patriarch.

Thomas Shelby rode through the gritty streets of Birmingham atop Monaghan Boy, a dark horse beneath him that matched the shadows that clung to the corners of the city. The rhythmic clatter of hooves echoed against the cobblestone pavement, a somber soundtrack to their passage through the labyrinthine alleys. Shelby sat tall and stoic, his flat cap casting a shadow over his steely eyes, giving him an air of authority that demanded respect from those who dared cross his path. Monaghan Boy, the loyal mount, moved with a controlled strength, navigating the narrow thoroughfares as if attuned to the unspoken commands of his rider. Together, they cut through the urban maze, a formidable duo commanding both fear and admiration from the denizens of Birmingham who instinctively bowed their heads in silent acknowledgment of the power that rode through their midst. 

Under the harsh midday sun, Evara discreetly followed Thomas Shelby as he rode through the bustling streets of Birmingham on his formidable black horse. The noise of the city surrounded them, the clattering hooves blending with the distant hum of activity. Evara, clad in a black scarf that shielded her features from the prying eyes of the busy crowd, maintained a careful distance. Thomas, atop his horse, cut a striking figure against the daylight, his posture exuding an air of authority that commanded attention. As they traversed the sunlit thoroughfares, Evara moved with a determined grace, navigating the crowded midday market while keeping her gaze fixed on the enigmatic leader ahead. The rhythm of hooves and the murmur of the city formed a unique symphony, a clandestine ballet unfolding under the watchful gaze of the relentless sun.

Summoning the courage she didn't know she possessed, Evara quickened her pace and closed the distance between herself and Thomas Shelby. Amidst the midday bustle, she finally mustered the bravery to call out, "Mr. Shelby!" Her voice cut through the ambient noise, drawing the attention of those nearby.

Thomas slowed his horse, turning slightly to acknowledge the persistent woman behind him. Without uttering a word, Evara, beneath the concealing black scarf, met his gaze with determined eyes. Emboldened by a newfound conviction, she called out once more, louder this time, "Mr. Shelby!"

The horse came to a stop, its hooves creating a brief pause in the symphony of the city. Time seemed to hang suspended as all eyes turned toward Evara, the mysterious figure challenging the established order.

When Thomas finally turned to face her, his expression unreadable, she took a deep breath. "I want to talk to you," she declared, her voice steady despite the palpable tension. The words hung in the air, a daring proposition that disrupted the routine of the bustling Birmingham streets. "i am here..to seek justice" she gulped down the lump that strangled the back of her throat. 

Thomas, acknowledging her presence with a piercing gaze, made a subtle gesture to one of his men nearby. "Scudboat," he called, "take her to the garrison. I'll come after I put Monaghan boy in the stables."