18: Facing Family

Kaeya was pacing in the throne room. He had just finished discussing the battle plan with his generals. They knew Lumine would be a formidable enemy and had decided to leave her to their king while they went for whoever else she had brought with her.

  Kaeya knew he could easily banish Lumine again; he was anxious about who she had with her. Who were they? Where had she gotten them from? Had she been able to turn some of his people against him?! Surely, she couldn't have convinced any overworlders to join her!

  With all the stress he was feeling, he was going to dig a hole by walking in the same place so much. He decided to head into his bedchamber, the only place where he ever felt at peace.

  Albedo was sitting up, prodding at the scar over his chest.

  "You shouldn't touch it so much," Kaeya smiled as he walked over.

  "I know... but I don't want Rhine- my mother to work so hard on figuring out what to do..." Albedo dropped his hands.

  "I don't want that woman anywhere near my people," Kaeya found himself saying. He hadn't even thought of speaking; the words just brought themselves into existence. But it was true. She was the problem, wasn't she?

  "If we find a way back, we can talk to her. But we can't bring her here," Kaeya said.

  Albedo blinked in surprise. He nodded slowly, his eyes wandering around the room.

  "I know she's your mother, but she's too dangerous. You know that better than anyone," the king took his queen's hands and squeezed them gently.

  Albedo looked up at him, "Kaeya..."

  "Yes? What is it?" He asked expectantly.

  "I've never seen you so... nervous..."

  Kaeya immediately looked away, beginning to feel embarrassed. "There's a lot going on..."

  "I know..." Albedo spoke softly. He freed his hands and brought them towards his partner's face. "You should rest while you can..."

  Kaeya nodded, "you're right."

  "When have I even been wrong?" Albedo smiled.

  "I can't think of a time," Kaeya chuckled as he moved to sit beside him.

  Albedo put a hand against Kaeya's chest, gently urging him to lay down.

  Kaeya seemed a little surprised, but he didn't say anything as he and Albedo laid down, facing one another.

  The alchemist put his hands on Kaeya's cheeks. He stared into his eyes with a melancholy look.

  "Don't worry," Kaeya whispered. "Lumine can't get to you. She can't hurt us anymore."

  "I'm not worried about her, I'm worried about you..." Albedo sighed.

  "Hm?"

  "Being king has put a lot of stress on you," Albedo stated.

  Kaeya agreed, "yeah... but if I won't rule, then who will?"

  Albedo closed his eyes, "I... would like to give you some of my peace..."

  Kaeya tilted his head in confusion.

  Albedo slowly slid one of his hands to the back of Kaeya's head. The king grew incredibly nervous for seemingly no reason. He quickly grabbed Albedo's wrist, "uhm, what does that mean?..." It almost felt like he was in danger. But Albedo would never hurt him. ... right?...

  Suddenly, Kaeya wasn't so sure...

  Albedo said, "I... want to enter your mind and help you feel calm..."