5: Answers, or Maybe Just More Questions

"There's one!" Gold narrowed her eyes at an Abyss Mage. It was dancing around a campfire with a few hilichurls.

  Albedo was finally able to catch his breath, "how do you have so much energy?..."

  Rhinedottir smiled excitedly, "I don't normally get to pursue anything interesting anymore. I think I've just about studied everything. Now, let's go get some answers!"

  Gold charged forward, pulling Albedo along with her. They dealt with the hilichurls and broke the Mage's shield with very little resistance.

  "Now then," Rhinedottir wiped her hands together, standing in front of the dizzy and beaten Mage. "I have some questions for you."

  The Abyss Mage shook himself off, trying to stand.

  "Oh, please, stay seated," she smiled condescendingly as she squatted down. "Who's your leader? Is it a cute little blonde girl?"

  The mage clutched at its head, "nooo... I have no reason to tell you anything!!!"

  "Who's giving you orders to meddle in Mondstadt? Or any of Teyvat, for that fact." Albedo asked.

  "Orders? We haven't been given any direct orders in a long time..." It's mind seemed less clouded now.

  "Then who is your leader?" Gold tried again.

  It sneered at her, "I don't have to answer you!!!"

  Gold smiled, "how about I take your eyes out, then, hm? I've been meaning to add to my collection for a while now..."

  The little mage started shaking in fear but didn't say a word. It looked over at Albedo with a pleading gaze.

  Albedo paused, "where is your base of operations?"

  "In the Abyss..." it said slowly, looking between both people in front of it.

  "Yes, but where?" Gold rolled her eyes.

  "That's none of your business!" It shrieked.

  Rhinedottir grabbed it by its little arm and squeezed, "would you like to try again?"

  It yelped, looking at Albedo in a pleading way once more.

  Albedo stared back at it curiously, "what do you know about Khaenri'ah? How are you connected to it?"

  It slowly tilted its head to the side, "we're all from Khaenri'ah..."

  Albedo blinked.

  "How come you answer his questions, but not mine?" Rhinedottir frowned.

  It stuck its tongue out at her.

  "She has a point. Why are you willing to speak with me and not her?" Albedo knelt down and had his mother let go of its arm.

  "Why are you asking so many questions, anyways?" It spoke carefully, nervously shifting on its little feet.

  "What do you mean?..."

  It paused for a long moment. "You're one of us... shouldn't you know more than I?..."

  Albedo's voice hardly made it out of his throat, "what?"

  It nodded, "you- you have the aura of- of our King, so you must-"

  "What are you talking about?!" Gold seized its arm again. "Stop spouting nonsense!"

  The Abyss Mage screamed, trying to squirm free.

  Albedo slowly stood back up, "I... I need to go..."