21: A wolf in sheep's clothing.

Start from the beginning

The small tray in front of me filled up quickly, but I experienced a strange temperature drop as I handed over the payment. I rubbed at the goosebumps on my arms.

“You must be Sophie.” The smooth voice came from behind me.

I spun the stool around and found myself face-to-face with an extremely handsome man. Deep brown eyes gazed enticingly into mine from his immaculately chiselled face, and my chill was forgotten. “Tales of your beauty are grossly underestimated,” he said.

I stared like an idiot. His brilliantly white teeth glowed under the ultraviolet lights, and he gently pushed a lock of wavy, brown, almost shoulder-length hair behind his ear. Before I spoke, I had a feeling that I shouldn’t, but my mouth took on a will of its own. “And you are?”

“Under your spell.”

“Cheesy.”

“My apologies. Let me give you a hand with those.”

He reached over to take the tray, and a waft of expensive aftershave filled my nostrils. Problem solved. He would do nicely. I was already imagining the look on everyone’s face when they saw me going home with this godlike creature.

“You didn’t answer my question.” I flirted.

“I prefer to keep an air of mystery.” He winked and parted a path for us.

“Okay, then tell me how you know me,” I shouted, following him down the spiral staircase. He paused at the bottom, adeptly balancing the tray with one hand, whilst curling his other around my waist and steering me through the crowd.

“Everyone who’s anyone knows you, Sophie. You’ve made quite an impression on the men of this town, and yet you’ve spurned the advances of all but one. Although I hear on the grapevine you may be available again.”

“I don’t know what could’ve given you that idea.” I gave him my best seductive smile as we reached the table, and he deposited the tray as the countdown started.

Ten, nine, eight…

My mystery man pulled me closer.

Seven, six, five…

He leaned in for his reward.

Four, three, two…

I licked my lips and closed my eyes in anticipation.

One. Happy New Year!

Get your filthy hands off her!

The expected kiss never came. I opened my eyes in time to see a flash of red pass over my admirer’s pupils. His eyes narrowed. He sniffed the air and his face became harder as he was wrenched from my grasp.