The Ghosts of Past

Start from the beginning

A lump formed in Meerab's throat as her pain shone in her husband's eyes. It was his request, a whimpered plea, that stopped her. They had come a long way as a husband and wife. Loving him came effortlessly, yet being the recipient of his love felt akin to being engulfed by a powerful natural force. He had lost weight, dark circles covered his eyes, and love shone brighter than the afternoon sun. Meerab nodded, agreeing with his request and inquired, "Did you drive all night?" Her husband gave a simple nod in response as he intertwined his fingers with hers. "Well then, let's head to the cafeteria and get you something to eat."

Murtasim Khan occupied a seat in the modest Mithi Hospital cafeteria, instantly reducing the room's size with his imposing presence. Seated at the table with Armaan and her, his guards were spread across two separate tables. Murtasim Khan might not be recognized as a feudal lord in this small town, but his identity as a successful businessman was well-known. Despite the figurative thundercloud hanging over him, he attracted attention, and his keen eyes observed everyone in the cafeteria. Upon being served a breakfast of oatmeal and fried eggs, Chai Murtasim briefly frowned at the meal. However, upon seeing his wife's expression, he proceeded to eat without voicing any complaints. Meerab knew something was wrong, as Khan Sahab had prepared for a small war. Before she could ask him anything, her phone rang. Seeing Junaid's number flash on her screen, she answered, "Is that idiot husband of yours with you, Meerab?". 

"Yes, Junaid Bhai, Khan Sahab is in Mithi with me," Meerab informed Junaid, and he sighed with relief. Instantly, she received a request for a video call from him, which she accepted. She saw Badi Amma and Agha Ji sitting at the dining table with Junaid Bhai; everyone was worried. Meerab expressed her disapproval by shaking her head at her husband. "He arrived this morning with Armaan and a few guards," she conveyed.

"Then, my dear little sister, please instill some sense in him," Junaid exclaimed through gritted teeth. "He departed without informing anyone, causing distress as nobody could locate him in the Haveli. All the guns and ammunition were nowhere to be found, and he's deliberately ignoring all calls," Junaid vented. "Moreover, he's been wandering around the Haveli like a disgruntled zombie, and the office staff is fed up with his unpleasant attitude and lack of focus. Yesterday, I had to repeat the same sentence five times before it registered into his thick head. He should change his name to Murtasim Zanmureed Khan because this trip has established that he is useless without you." Some guards choked on their chai and received a deadly glare from her husband. "Even Armaan ignored my calls. We were worried out of our minds here. Zafar is the only one responsible out of you all; he is the one who texted me."

"I was driving Junaid Bhai, so I could not answer my phone," Armaan replied casually as Meerab passed him the phone. Zafar's loyalty to Meerab was undeniable.

"So you could not message us when you reached there, Armaan?" Badi Amma chided. She knew her nephew was too stubborn to have a reasonable conversation at this time. Still, she had expected better from Armaan.

"What was the urgency? And why is the armoury empty?" Agha Ji added his inquiry.

"I will let Murtasim Bhai handle that question, but you three owe me one lakh rupees each when I return. After all, I won the bet," Armaan responded.

"What bet?" Meerab caught on—the look on her husband's face was half pride, half anger.

"The bet was how long my grandson would last without you," Agha Ji volunteered information, knowing that Meerab would not get upset with him. "Zeba said one week, Junaid said five days. I said that you were too stubborn and your pride would stop you from going to Mithi. Armaan bet you would cross ten days, but he wouldn't last the entire fortnight. And here you are proving him right." To everyone's surprise, Meerab laughed, and Murtasim's face lit up at the musical sound of her laughter. Before she could say anything, Meerab's pager beeped, requesting her back at the camp. "Finish your breakfast, Khan Sahab, and rest at the hotel. I will see you at lunch, and we will talk then." Meerab said she stood up to leave.

Murtasim rose from his chair and approached his wife before she could depart, indifferent to the scrutinizing gazes around them. He gently held her face, compelling her to meet his intense amber eyes. The cafeteria had heard that he was a devoted Zanmureed. However, they were unaware of his great pride in it. "Rohail is here, and he's up to no good. It seems Humaira's husband is also present. Exercise caution, and ensure Zafar is constantly by your side," he warned urgently.

At last, Meerab grasped the gravity of the situation; her husband likely wanted to wrap her in protection and bring her back home. She understood the sacrifice he was making by allowing her to continue at the medical camp, deepening her love and admiration for him. Promising to exercise caution, Meerab left. On her way to the camp, Meerab contemplated the enigma that was her Khan Sahab. Despite battling his fears, he, against his better judgment, permitted her to return to the medical camp. He had sincerely expressed that her dream was also his, creating a perplexing mix of anger and love within Meerab.

While he shared his concerns about Rohail and Humaira's husband, allowing her to exercise judgment at the camp, Meerab found his stance on the baby conversation unreasonable and frustratingly stubborn. Upon reaching the camp, Tara directed her to stall number 12 and handed her a patient chart. All attention shifted back to work. As Meerab perused the chart, a young 20-year-old girl entered with a broken wrist, cuts and bruises on her arms, and low blood pressure and glucose levels.

As Armaan settled the bill and coordinated arrangements with the hotel for everyone, Murtasim engaged in an insightful conversation with the cafeteria owner about Ahad Qureshi. It turned out that Qureshi was their Zimidaar in Mithi, inheriting the title from his mother's side as well, a detail overlooked in Murtasim's research. The charm of small towns lay in the fact that everyone was well-acquainted with one another's affairs. Though Murtasim's research had gaps, the cafeteria patrons willingly filled in the missing pieces.

From the discussions, Murtasim gathered that Qureshi was a fair landlord but needed to be more actively involved in bettering conditions for his people. Additionally, a rumour was circulating that Qureshi's younger sister was missing, prompting him to search for her tirelessly. Another patient, out for a walk with an IV attached, shared speculation that Qureshi's sister had initially been promised to his first wife's brother. However, with the first wife's demise, Qureshi seemed disinterested in the arrangement. Another young man, whose mother was undergoing a knee replacement at the camp, mentioned that Qureshi owed money to Rohail, which he had borrowed when his first was still alive. An elderly man informed Murtasim that as per Ahad Qureshi's mother's will, all funds would be distributed equally among her children.

Suddenly, everything clicked for Murtasim. He expressed his gratitude and settled the bills for everyone in the cafeteria, becoming the recipient of many heartfelt Duas. Little did he know that he would soon need those prayers as a gunshot echoed through the air, causing his blood to freeze in his veins.

Congratulations to all of us as Arziyaan hit 100K. Your love for my ramblings is very humbling. You guys are my true champions. Thank you so much for giving Khan Sahab and his partner so much love.

Okay so here is the chapter and I will wait for all you in the comments. Chappals and comments are welcome.

Keep Shining you all

Blues