The Mighty's Plummet

"Love is a journey and a destination - long and excruciating on the way, unexpected and ecstatic if found."
― Stewart Stafford

"I know my heart will never be the same
But I'm telling myself I'll be okay."
―Sara Evans

Murtasim made his way to his bedroom after double-checking the house's security. Meerab was tired, so Murtasim decided tonight to ensure that the twins were tucked in and that Badi Amma and Agha had taken their medicines. When he entered their bedroom, he noticed she was still in that breathtaking yellow saree but had removed her jewelry and heels. Barefoot, she was taking his night clothes out. Her simplicity was alluring. His brows creased as she winced when she turned around too quickly.

"What happened?"Murtasim demanded. He was beside her in an instant. Taking her shoulders, he guided her towards the bed.

"Nothing, Khan Sahab," Meerab replied as she sat on the bed. "It is just blisters from the heels. They will heal in a day or two," she tried to reassure her husband, noticing his panicked tone. Sitting at her feet, Murtasim examined them. There were blisters on her heel, back of her ankles were inflamed.

"What are you doing, Khan Sahab?" Meerab asked as she touched his wrist, trying to free her feet from his grip. His touch had shot shivers down her spine. Her heart was racing at the intimacy.

Even though her reaction to his touch pleased him, the minor blisters felt like fatal bruises on his heart. "Why did you wear them, Meerab?" Murtasim inquired, the complaint in his tone evident.

Meerab was astounded by her husband's question," Khan Sahab, we have a significant height difference. Even with the heels, you towered over me. And you were the one who bought me a saree, and it sets better with heels."

"But now you are in pain, Meerab," Murtasim said as if it was not her who was in pain.

"Pain is the price women pay for vanity, Khan Sahab," Meerab whispered, trying to keep her thoughts straight, "Now, can you please let my feet go?"

Even though Murtasim enjoyed her nervousness at his touch, the blisters worried him more. He placed her feet on the bed and reached the side table for the first aid box as he sat beside her. Placing her feet in his lap, he tended to her feet. Antiseptic first, then blister band-aids. Murtasim then took out the anklets he had silently bought at the auction from his pocket. His wife had admired them, so he ensured she would have. Feeling brave, he took the liberty of clasping them in each foot. When done, he traced a finger along the anklets and heard his wife gasp. He stole a glance at Meerab and smiled. Her cheeks flushed, her lashes fluttering; shyness had left her crimson.

Murtasim revelled in her demureness. Intelligent, graceful, and sensual, she fascinated him. Their eyes met. The intensity of the emotion was like a punch to his gut. The waves of hair reached her waist like a waterfall of night. Gently, he placed her feet on the ground and closed the gap between them. Giving into the urge to touch her, he tucked a strand of her behind her ear. Cupping her cheek, he traced this thumb on her cheekbone. Her eyes turned amber, just like his favourite whisky, drugging him. He felt young and foolish. It was liberating. Today was a milestone for them, so he took his phone out and clicked a selfie, capturing the moment forever.

Murtasim woke up to a peal of laughter the following morning. The emptiness that filled this house and its owner was replaced with family and laughter. Meerab was, as usual, already up and gone. One of these days, he promised himself, he would wake up before she did. Murtasim realized that he was obsessed with the phrase—his wife. He checked his phone for the time, and it was mid-morning already.

Delighted, he smiled at his lock screen. He had taken a picture of them last night in this very room. Now that picture adorned his lock screen. This was one way to wake up to Meerab's face. He would make do with the image until he could replace it with the owner. He was usually groggy in the morning, but thinking about the moment when he had clicked this selfie, his mood instantly uplifted. Everything was a little brighter to him as he got out of bed to prepare for his day.