Genesis

Rab Bakshe Na Bakshe, Uski Raza,

Assi Yaar Nu Sajda Kar Baithe

                                                        -Amrita Pritam

Na Deyo Mainu Saah Udhaare Dosto, Le Ke Murr Himmat Nahi Partaan Di

Na Karo Shiv Di Udaasi Da Ilaaj, Rown Di Marzi Hai Ajj Baimaan Di

                                                                                                                                 -Shiv Kumar Batalvi 

The twins arguing woke Murtasim up. He was used to being undisturbed in the Karachi House and had forgotten how loud the twins could get when they visited him. He craned his neck to see the clock on his bedside table. It was already 10:30 am. He had to be at the panchayat at noon. Murtasim rushed out of bed and straight into the washroom. As he opened one of the drawers to get his beard trimmer, he, for a moment, was taken aback by the fact that there was now a set of two for everything. Her toothbrush was next to his, her body lotion alongside his moisturizer. Her perfume was placed beside his cologne. Jasmine and Lilies, her smell lingered everywhere. Welcome to married life, Murtasim sighed and swiftly prepared for the day.

When he walked out dressed in a crisp off-white salwar kurta, he saw that his extended family was taking their leave. Meerab was standing in the middle, a small smile on her lips. She seemed to be enjoying the conversation between Ayat and one of his cousins from his maternal side of the family. She seemed relaxed. She was wearing her hair in a simple braid as usual and was wearing a casual beige salwar kameez. Salman, one of his cousins, took one of her hands, and Ayat took another. Without realizing his burrows furrowed, he approached the trio and relaxed when he overheard the conversation.

"This mehndi is for our Murtasim, and it represents your love and care for him, Dulhan," Salman said, imitating his mother, Murtasim's mom's sister and known throughout the entire family as a traditionalist " You should never let it fade. It will bring our Murtasim prosperity and protect him from all the evil eyes," Salman continued in the same nasal tone as his mother as Ayat snickered. Salman was Meerab's age, and he better hope that on the way to apologize for his mother, he might get into a bigger problem if she overhears him copying her mercilessly.

"Yeah, from now on, Murtasim Maamu's security team is replaced with Meerab Maami's mehndi," Ayat said, rolling her eyes.

"And imagine Bhabhi Jaan examining patients with henna-clad hands. It would be so weird. The patients would be confused if they should congratulate her on the wedding first or tell her what is wrong with them," Salman continued.

Murtasim chuckled at the conversation flowing and, satisfied that Meerab was okay, made his way to his uncles to say his goodbyes. Once all the relatives left, Murtasim sat at the dining table for breakfast. Junaid, Agha Sahab, and Badi Amma joined him for the company and asked for their midmorning chai to be served at the dining table instead of the patio. The twins settled in the family room and started their Minecraft match. Meerab came out of the kitchen, followed by two servants who rolled the food trollies.

Meerab silently served Murtasim breakfast as the servant placed peppermint tea to Junaid and Badi Amma and beetroot juice to Agha Sahab. Junaid frowned into his peppermint tea, "I understand that Badi Amma and Agha Sahab need a change in their diet due to their age and health, but what have I done to deserve this atrocity Meerab?"

"You have already had two cups of coffee this morning Junaid Bhai, no more!" Meerab chided gently as she placed a bowl of Sheer Khurma next to her husband's plate.