Chapter 68

Night fell upon Evalyn quickly. When she made it back to Regulus' room, she took note of a wall plastered with articles about the attacks. She stood and stared at it for a moment. It was almost like a shrine that made her feel nauseous. A soft fuzzy lavender colored blanket  hidden underneath his bed caught her eye. It was one of hers that went missing a couple years ago. She knelt down, and pulled it out but the corner of the blanket got caught on a small piece of wood on the floor.

A hand reached under to feel the floor, and to her surprise, she was able to pull the wood up. Inside the hole was a box without a lock. Upon lifting the lid, she gasped. She brought her palm to her mouth as a muggle picture of her, Regulus and Barty when they were in their 3rd, her 4th year, stared back at her. Underneath it, was the friendship bracelet Evalyn had made each of them when they were young. There were several other pictures in there. One of Evalyn and Barty dancing on his 14th birthday. One of Barty and Regulus trying brownies for the first time. One of the three of them in the kitchens, covered in flour. A soft smile appeared as she looked at the last one. It was one of her and Sirius, they were running from something. He had picked her up and thrown her over his shoulder, and he was turned to look at whatever was chasing them. The signs of laughter on both of their faces. She replaced the photos in the box and put it back where she found it.

Grabbing the blanket, she wrapped herself in it and sat in a chair that faced the window. At this moment she chose to let her tears fall while she gazed at the stars. The Canis Major constellation twinkling down at her as if showing her that Sirius is with her. Evalyn didn't even turn around when she heard someone slip into the room. Regulus leaned against the wall in front of her with a muffin in his hand. "E, please listen to me." Her eyes met his and she gave a small nod. "You will make it harder on yourself if you keep disrespecting him." A roll of her eyes made him kneel down in front of her. "I'm serious Evalyn." Normally those words would bring a smile to her face as she thought of the pun, but not this time. "He's planning on moving you to a cell tomorrow. He will make an example of you so everybody knows to not talk to him like that."

"Then help me Regulus, help me leave here. I don't belong here. I was supposed to get married in a couple days. To your brother. Don't just sit there and let this happen."

"Can't you see that you'll be safer here? If you just listen?!" He gripped at her hands as he begged.

She stood up and gestured to his board with the articles. "How could you honestly be a part of this Reggie? Innocent people are dying and getting hurt because of your 'Dark Lord'! How can you be okay with this?! Is it because of your parents or do you honestly agree that what he is doing is the right thing?!" He looked down to the ground in defeat. "I mean if I didn't have all of this extra power, it might even be my name on the victim list. It might have been me that you had to kill. Or maybe it would be torture, he's the type who seems to like to play with his victims before he kills them."

He whipped his head up to her and stared her down. "You and I both know I wouldn't do that E." Regulus started to walk past her but she grabbed his wrist and met his eyes that visibly softened.

"Then don't let it happen Reg." He walked out just as Barty walked in. Barty picked her up and swung her around and she wriggled against his grasp. "What are you doing Barty?"

He shrugged, "Just checking on my favorite sister." There was a wild look in his eyes, more unhinged than normal. It made Evalyn a little uncomfortable.

"I don't want you to get in trouble by seeing me, you should probably go before you're caught."

He brushed her statement off. "Please, I'm one of his most trusted." The proud smile on his face made Evalyn's heart sink. "In fact, I'm practically a part of his 'Inner Circle' if you want to call it that. He said he's proud of my work." At those words, she knew she had lost Barty. All he wanted was to make his father proud. Despite getting 12 Owls and being one of the top wizards at Hogwarts, it was never good enough. Voldemort gave Barty that paternal figure he craved. She sat back down as he continued. "You can join us Eva, it'll be me, you, and Reggie. Voldemort would let us be the family we want to be. He will give us everything we could ever ask for."

She didn't meet his eyes, "I'll consider it B, I'm tired though, I'm going to go to sleep." Barty jumped up in excitement and bounced out of the room.

"Good night! I love you Eva!"

4 hands and a bag over her head abruptly awoke her. They held each of her limbs and she thrashed against their grips as they carried her away. She stopped thrashing along the way to conserve her energy. After she was dumped on a cold ground, she scrambled to her feet and the bag was yanked off of her head. Curls flew wild and tumbled down past her waist at the motion. Evalyn glared at Voldemort in front of her. With a smug grin he looked down at her. "One last chance Evalyn, will you join me?" Her face changed briefly as if she were considering it. The group of death eaters held their breaths in tense stances as they watched her.

"You know what I think?" Voldemort gestured for her to continue. "I think you are scared of me." She waved her cuffed wrists around. "You know that if I were at my full power I could kill everyone in this room without a scratch. Including you." A crazed smile showed off all her teeth. Shuffles from the people behind her were heard but she didn't even acknowledge the movement. "But you are also a smart man -" she started pacing back in forth, not caring that a couple death eaters reached for their wands. "You won't kill me, because you need me. You may torture me but at the end of the day, you still need me conscious and able to fight."

"But what about your loved ones?" The girl fascinated him, so he entertained her for a moment.

"Besides my parents where you were probably the one who called for their murder? You won't hurt them." Evalyn shrugged boldly. "Because if you do, I can't promise there will be any survivors when I'm done." Despite the magically restraints, her magical aura swirled around. It wasn't as strong as normal but still frightened some.

Voldemort smiled, ugly sharp teeth ever so present. "Very well then, Bellatrix, take care of her." He waltzed out of the room as Evalyn was grabbed once again. A sharp cackling that sent shivers down people's spine echoed across the room. A slender witch with eyes as wild as her untamed hair stepped before Evalyn. In her hand she twirled a knife instead of a wand.