Chapter 23

Evalyn and the Marauders decided to send the treats for Valentine's Day by owl. In the Great Hall for breakfast that morning, a lot of the birds came flying in, dropping off all the goodies. There were smiles all around. She even managed to send one to Barty and Regulus anonymously. Obviously, once the boys seen the brownies, they knew who it was from. Barty ate his immediately while Reggie picked at it glumly.

"If you don't want it mate, I'll take it." Barty reached for the brownie, cause Regulus to glare and smack his hand. "Don't touch it. Of course I want it." Evan was sitting in front of the pair, watching them.

"What is that?" He piped up curiously.
"It's called brown something I think, it's chocolate." Barty responded, wiping the crumbs on his face with the back of his hand. Regulus raised an eyebrow at him before cutting a small corner off and passing it to Evan. He took a long look at it before taking a bite. A groan left his mouth. "Who sent these?"

"Oh it was —" before Barty finished, Regulus stepped on his foot. "A secret admirer." The Black brother finished for him. Evan narrowed his eyes at the two before dropping the subject.

On the other side of the Hall, all 4 Marauders were getting swarmed with Valentines notes. Evalyn glanced at Sirius' stack with a small frown but said nothing. James passed her a muffin while Remus filled her plate with the fruit. Sirius noticed a couple strawberries in the mix on her plate, and carefully slid them over to his. She picked at her food, trying to ignore the pit in her stomach at Sirius' many love notes. Peter was the first one to notice her mood and gave Remus a small nudge. He in turn, looked at the girl, and gave a small nod to Peter. They motioned towards James and Sirius who then picked up on her mood change. Sirius grabbed her hand and James let out a whistle. An owl came in, dropping off a howler in front of Evalyn. She paled as she took the envelope.

All four boys' voices screeched out with words of love. She ducked her head when they started singing a silly song that they wrote her before it shredded itself to pieces.
"You are all bonkers. But thank you boys." She beamed with amusement. A Ravenclaw made her way over, a flower in her hand. She tapped on Sirius' shoulder. "Hi Siri, happy Valentine's Day." The girl giggled and handed him the flower. Evalyn turned back to her food with a scowl on her face. Sirius caught the Hufflepuff's face and grinned. "Sorry, I can't take this" he told the Ravenclaw and gave her the flower. The girl glared in Evalyn's direction, making Sirius and the other boys mad. James flicked his wand at the flower which turned it into a rock. Sirius cleared his throat and stood up on the table.

"AHEM, I am letting every one of you know that the Sirius Black will NOT be accepting any gifts or notes from anyone that is not Evalyn Fern. If any one has an issue with this, they can see Minnie or Dumbles. The two will process your complaints, and send them to the rubbish. Thank you." He lit his stack of notes on fire before stepping down and putting his arm around Evalyn. Her face was flushed in embarrassment. "Thank you Sirius." Using his wand, he transfigured a bouquet of sunflowers and aster flowers for the girl.
"Tu es le soleil de ma vie." He winked down at her. Evalyn took the flowers and placed a kiss on his cheek. In response, he gave a cheeky smile and tapped his lips. "I think you missed love." She rolled her eyes and gave him a quick peck. The other 3 boys stared at them with wide eyes. "Why are you kissing my sister Pads?!" James screeched and grabbed the girl away from Sirius and held her close to him. Evalyn giggled and muttered "it's not the first time." James gasped dramatically and looked between the two. "You were snogging?!?" His voice was raised but there was no malice behind it. Evalyn blushed and Remus gave a wolf whistle. James pointed a finger at the black haired boy, "you hurt her Pads, and we will have a problem." Peter nodded in agreement while Sirius just smiled and took Evalyn's hand. "I don't think you have to worry about that mates."

The whole event was spotted by Lily Evans. She had been working up the courage to say hi to the boys. However, seeing what happened left her frazzled. James Potter truly seemed to have a heart. As if he knew she was looking, he turned his gaze towards her and shot her a wink and a smile. Lily was honestly expecting a grand gesture like every other year. It was a relief that he didn't, but for some reason she wished he did. She shook it off and gave him a sweet smile and a wave before turning back to her friends.

Later on in the day, Evalyn was sitting with the boys in the Gryffindor common room. She was cuddled up on the couch next to Sirius, her feet were in James' lap. Nervously, a first year walked up to the group but stopped in front of Evalyn. He handed her a single yellow hyacinth and a small piece of parchment. Remus furrowed his brows at the flower. The werewolf had read a book about the language of flowers last year and made a mental note to look up the meaning of that particular flower. Sirius snatched the note from her as the first year ran off.

Tea. Tomorrow 5 pm. You can bring either Lupin or Pettigrew.
-E.R.

Sirius rolled his eyes and shoved the scarp into Evalyn's hands. She read it over and looked at Sirius. "I'll be okay yeah? And I'll see you right before and right after." He hesitated before kissing her temple and nodding. "Only if you take Mooney, I love you Wormy, but Mooney will be able to defend her better." She looked at Remus to see if he agreed. "I got your back Evalyn, always." The werewolf gave a smile to the couple.

"So about that nickname" Evalyn looked at the group mischievously. The boys shared looks, having a silent conversation. James gave a nod and the other 3 returned the gesture.

James cleared his throat and looked at the girl seriously. "2 things must be done first. You must pull a prank on your own, and then conjure a patronus. That is your initiation." Evalyn bit her lip, thinking it over. She smiled a bright crooked smile and stuck her hand out.

"You have a deal James."