Chapter 49

Christmas was upon Hogwarts and the Marauders decided to stay at the castle for their last year. The group of teens ran up to Professor McGonagall and presented her a gift. "Minnie we got you something!" James and Sirius bounced back and forth on their feet in excitement. She lips made a tight line and hesitated to grab the package. "It won't explode? No pranks?"
"I am offended Min Min, we are mature individuals now." James crossed his arms and held a stern look. Evalyn squeezed her way to the front of the group, "Don't worry McGonnie, I made sure they didn't do anything to it." She offered the older witch a wink. As the present was opened, a warmth flooded her heart. The corners of her lips turned upward as the last piece of wrapping paper came off. Inside was a framed picture, the Professor was chasing after the group with a long beard that matched Dumbledore's. Peter had fallen over, with James tripping on top of him. Remus was pointing and laughing at the two, and Sirius had nearly dropped Evalyn off his back when he started laughing. McGonagall blinked back a tear and ran a finger over the moving picture.

"Do you like it?" All 5 students looked up at her expectantly. "I love it." She nodded her head and turned away on her heel.

The rest of the day was spent with hot cocoa, blankets, exchanging presents, and matching Christmas onesies.

Evalyn received a photo book with a world's best sister mug, two knitted jumpers, some new books to read, and a new pair of combat boots with a stuffed dog plush.

Peter got a trophy that said best chess player, a hat and some mittens, a shirt that matched Evalyn's saying "Best friends always", and some fancy new quills.

Remus got several new books, sweaters, and some new Converse.

James received some new wand holsters with a world's best brother mug, a jacket to replace the one he lost, a miniature broom, and a knitted hat. Lily owled him a watch with a flower engraved on it.

Sirius got some wand holsters that matched James with a framed picture of Evalyn and Sirius in a field of flowers, a muggle book about how to train dogs, another set of riding gloves, and a knitted hat.

Effie had sent a basket of treacle tarts and pumpkin pasties and they pushed the beds together for one big sleepover. They all fell into laughter, even though one was ignoring a burning pain in his forearm.

Meanwhile Grimmauld Place was having a very tense Christmas. Gathered around one room were a group of deatheaters. They adorned all black robes and wore masks covering their entire face. At one end of the room, standing in front of everyone was a man. The man was tall and intimidating. There was an aura about him that could send the fiercest warriors cowering. He had skin so pale a person could see his veins, his irises were as red as blood, and dark curls sat upon his head.

"Tell me again, how a teenage girl was able to take on a group of adult wizards?" No one dared to speak, afraid of the consequences. The man snarled and clinched his fist, "Are my men just that incompetent?" One of the deatheaters took a shaky step forward and bowed his head, "My Lord." Voldemort raised his hand causing several people to flinch. The man continued, "This wasn't just an ordinary child, she was different." In the corner of the room, 3 teens tried to shake off their panic. The Dark Lord's wand swished and the man who was speaking flew forward.
Crucio
The man screamed out in agony, the pain had him writhing about on the floor. Nobody moved forward to help him as blood dripped down from his nose and ears.

The curse was stopped and Voldemort said "Where are my students?" The adults cleared way for 4 teens to step forward. Regulus, Barty, Evan, and Snape. "Do any of you have any information about this witch?" Evan Rosier spoke first, despite feeling an intrusion in his brain. He did his best to block out any memories of the girl's powers. "No My Lord."
Regulus and Barty added the same. Voldemort turned to Snape, "You were there that day Severus, did you see anything?" He debated his options, "I only spotted James Potter and his band of goons. I couldn't see anything else." It wasn't necessarily a lie, but he decided to keep Evalyn's name out of it. He could always use her as an out if she is strong enough.

"You four have a new task. Try to find out who this witch is, and find out why she is so powerful. Maybe she can be convinced to join us if I find her worthy." All four teens bowed their head before returning to the back of the room. "I need Wormtail, someone bring him to me when the term starts back up. He was there that day and maybe he knows who she is." Those were his last words before vanishing into a thick black smoke. One by one the deatheaters left. Snape barely glanced at the other teens before he apparated away. Regulus dragged Evan and Barty to his bedroom, casting a silencing charm. Barty vomited into a bin while Regulus paced back and forth.

The young Black heir spoke first "Pettigrew will give her up, he will panic and lead him straight to her." Barty let out a sob and started having a panic attack. Regulus sat by his side, pulling the boy into his lap. "He won't." Anger and determination flamed behind Evan's eyes.

"We all know he is afraid, and he is the easiest to manipulate." Regulus bit back. Evan grinned devilishly. "Exactly, we get to him first. I'm not going to risk my backup plan getting blown up." Barty looked up immediately, "I have a plan." The other two urged him to continue, "2 options, one of us can Polyjuice as him and take his place when talking to Voldemort, risky but doable. The other option is to lead Peter somewhere and obliviate what he knows about Evalyn's powers. Not enough for him to forget about her, but enough to make it seem like she's just an average half blood witch. It's tricky, but I can do the spell. Obviously we would have to let her and the rest of them know to not talk about it without letting them know Peter is on our side though."

"Mate I could kiss you right now!" Regulus grabbed Barty's face and squeezed his cheeks. Barty smirked "Do it." They stared into each other's eyes and Evan let out a groan.

"Wait until I leave please. We will go back to Hogwarts in the morning and start our plan." Evan vanished with a flash just as Barty pulled Regulus in by his tie.