Part One: Chapter Twelve

July 1746, On the Banks of Belize

Genny parted the cattail lining the embankment behind which she and four of her crew remained hidden and surveyed the minuscule number of troops along the Belize coastline. She focused her gaze on the admiral's most trusted lieutenant and followed his trajectory, noting the small shed he ducked into alone. She glanced over at Ines and spotted her doing the same, then leaned in closer.

"What is that place?"

"The armory." Ines got onto her hands and knees and crawled further left with Dawn, Lana, Trevor and Genny following closely behind them.

The plan was simple enough. Secure a set of keys to the brigs hidden within the cluster of four log cabins and free those within. However, if they had weaponry matching that of the enemy, it would make their entire endeavor so much easier. Genny caught Ines' ankle just as a soldier walked by the marsh and pulled her back, covering her mouth before she could yelp. She pointed at him and they all waited for him to finally make his way to the other troops further inland, then she released Ines as she pointed an extended finger toward the shed within which the lieutenant still remained.

"All of you stay here. I will sneak into the small structure and--"

Ines cut her off with a raised hand and she fell silent as she whispered, "Let me." Genny began to argue back, but it was too late. "No debating."

Ines took off toward some trees nearby and held herself around one of the larger trunks, peeking past it over her shoulder. Genny's first gut reaction was to run to her and stop her before she was caught, but it appeared no soldier was the wiser as she watched her jet toward the small armory. She was rather fast on her feet, running the uncovered distance in a matter of seconds. Ines peeked around both sides, and then up toward a small opening along the upper panel of the hut, only large enough for someone of her size to navigate. With a last nod toward the crew, she climbed atop a nearby barrel, then stacked a crate atop it and maneuvered her way inside.

With her out of sight, Genny grew more and more worried that she may not emerge, only to hear a shot explode that resounded throughout the area. Her hiding forgotten, and seemingly her crew's as well, they all jumped out of the marsh and readied their weapons, yet were pleasantly surprised by the lack of immediate fighting as someone came out of the shed. Ines, with a pistol held to Ashford's head, walked out of the armory and the approaching soldiers lowered their weapons.

Genny kept her rifle trained on them as they all joined Ines and she stepped further out of the minuscule structure. "I will shoot him if any of you approach. Gen!" She ran over with the others and ducked into the shed, pulling free several pistols and muskets and handing them to the crew. Upon her exiting the building, Genny went to Ines' side and took hold of the lieutenant's arms, securing them behind his back with some ropes she found in the shed. "Do not attempt to stop us."

The soldiers seemed eager to do just that, yet didn't with their superior officer in binds, though he wasn't inclined to keep his mouth shut. "You will regret this, Mrs. Witt. We have cared for you, your husband has brought you here out of the kindness of his heart, yet you repay our efforts by aligning yourself with pirate scum. Whatever happens to you, you deserve."

Genny flickered her gaze toward Ines who still kept her gun on him, finding anger like none other coating her features. She'd never seen such an expression on her and was startled when she cocked back the firing pin. Looking from him to Genny, Ines trembled as if she could no longer contain the emotions swelling within herself and swallowed hard enough for it to echo along the whipping wind. Genny shook her head and Ines stared blankly at her for several paralyzing moments, but eventually got the message. She had to have known just as well as Genny that if they eradicated him here and now, they would only have more issues when trying to free the captive children.