Part One: Chapter Three

March 1746, On the Banks of Algiers

Ines pulled herself up along the window sill of the captain's barracks in the small room below deck, trying to catch a glimpse of the world outside. She'd been held up inside of the cabin for weeks aside from a few short trips to the main deck for what the pirates called her suntime fun. Those times were a respite from the constant unknowing of her future. True, the pirates hadn't hurt her and only appeared to look after her as if she were one of their own, with the slight disadvantage that they obviously didn't trust her enough to let her wander the ship alone. She remained in the cabin during the times when they couldn't keep a constant eye on her and her lack of stamina also played a part.

Ines hadn't ever been very physically strong. She knew this and accepted it. However, it didn't mean she appreciated being treated as an invalid, which was how most seemed to view her. Though, it was odd. The same mannerisms she found across her husband and his follower's faces was not present in this small, shabby crew wherein she found herself and she was all the more confused for it. Still, they may not have seen her as an invalid, they may not have seen her as someone to be coddled from the way they gazed at her with such lividity, but she knew the other thoughts swirling around their minds were the same as everyone else's. It didn't matter if they wore the recognition on their faces or not. She knew they viewed her the same as everyone else and being held in this cabin in this dinky ship was all the evidence she needed.

Regardless, it wasn't as if she could escape. The one thing she could control was the only thing under her will day in and out. Her weight. Ines had taught herself to live on less and despite her frailty, she would not eat more than enough to keep herself alive. Especially around the likes of pirates. She knew ultimately, they were the same as her husband and even chastised herself for ever being naive enough to venture with them voluntarily. They would eventually turn dark and just as before when she managed to gain the smallest amount of weight, they would pounce on her once she was to the right amount of plumpness. Her husband did so and she made a vow to never let it happen again. She may be sickly in appearance, she may not have been attractive, yet that was the point. She could control the desires of those around herself, curbing them to the point she was no longer appealing to them and she would continue that now aboard this vessel, even if it meant her death, the prospect of which encouraged her all the more.

Nothing would change her. Not one thing. Or a single person.

It was a small ship, only manned by the three who'd taken her captive, and on the occasion they needed more hands, she'd been allotted short bursts of time in the sun. This was her suntime fun. Manual labor, which was something Ines hadn't done a single day in her life up to this point and left her even weaker than ever. Excluding that and in spite of her determination to remain as unfeeling toward her captors as possible, she couldn't really complain as she had yet to be mistreated by these people, which was incredibly odd. Even when putting her to work, they helped her along, easing the energy exuded to do such daunting tasks.

True, Gen had said they would not do a thing to her unless she harmed them, but from what her husband explained, there was no law and order amongst buccaneers. That being said, these people didn't conduct themselves as such and the more she learned of them the more she wanted to know what made them so vivacious. How can they be so giddy in times like this...? I mustn't let my guard down. I know they will change the moment I do. Just like Arthur, they are all the same.

Convinced they were only toying with her, giving her a false sense of security only to rip it from her at a later date, she ignored her inner turmoil and peered through the small window that was covered by water when the boat tipped in the raging sea. The sea was harrowing and making their passage through the Gibraltar Pass a rather difficult venture. Regardless, the crew acted as if it was nothing, remaining rather jovial just above her on the main deck.

Freedom's Horizon: Spirit of Belize (WLW)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara