«26» a dark cloud

Start from the beginning

“Yes,” Yaseerah nodded, her nose wrinkling a bit, when the faint scent of antiseptic tugged at her nerves. “I just wanted to ask some questions, if that’s okay? I haven’t been around, and Mamu’s resting, so I don’t want to bother her with any questions.”

“Of course,” she nodded, smiling softly. “Take a seat. Is there anything specific you would like us to discuss?”

“I just wanted to ensure that there aren’t any complications with her health moving forward.”

The doctor was silent as she appraised Yaseerah for a bit, before she sighed, and dropped the file on her desk. “Yaseerah, this isn’t the first time I’m reviewing your mother’s case, and while I do not usually do this with my patients’ children especially when they’re as young as you, I want to be transparent about our approach.”

Her words hung in the air between them, and whether she paused for dramatic reasons or to allow Yaseerah a moment to gather her thoughts, she wasn’t sure.

“Like I’ve told your family, Glioblastoma is a highly aggressive form of brain cancer, and grade IV signifies the highest level of malignancy,” Dr. Seda continued, choosing her words carefully. “Our treatment plan involves surgery, followed by radiation and chemotherapy, depending on the patient’s response to treatment. As this is a complex condition, there are significant challenges in treatment.”

The knot in Yaseerah’s stomach tightened to the point of pain, but her gaze remained fixated on the doctor, even as blood rushed through her ears, momentarily deafening her. “What kind of challenges are we looking at?”

“Glioblastoma is known for its resistance to treatment, and complete eradication is often difficult. The surgery is to eradicate as much of the tumor as possible.”

“But, there are chances of success, right?” Yaseerah queried, her voice small, as she swallowed pass the bile in her throat.

“What are the chances of success?” she repeated, when Dr. Seda didn’t respond.

“I won’t mislead you, the prognosis for glioblastoma is guarded. Success varies in patients. Our aim is to improve the quality of life, manage the symptoms, and, if possible, extend the time.”

Until their death. Though the doctor didn’t word it like that, Yaseerah was sure death was implied.

“Only manage the symptoms?”

“I am so sorry,” Dr. Seda nodded, her apology clear in her tone. “The nature of glioblastoma makes it unpredictable. So, we focus on providing the best care and support to our patients.”

Yaseerah inhaled sharply, briefly closing her eyes, before she snapped them open again. “What does healing look like for her, post surgery?”

“Please,” Yaseerah pleaded–which was a first for her–when the doctor remained silent. “I need to know.”

“She will be in pain, which is unavoidable. Staying connected with loved ones will help immensely and being attentive to her needs can make a significant difference. Additionally, we have counseling services available for both the patient and family.”

“Are there specific meals or dietary plans to take into consideration?”

“A balanced diet is vital. I’ll arrange a consultation with our nutritionist to guide you through this.”

“Thank you,” Yaseerah nodded, distractedly. “What about her medications? Will there be any potential interactions between the new medications and the lupus medications she already takes?”

“I understand your concern, Yaseerah. Dr. Khatri and I are already working on a treatment plan that considers both conditions, you have nothing to worry about.”