«1» an unspoken connection

—————۵—————

June 13, 2023

—————۵—————

The stables of Sama Equestrian Centre have always been Yaseerah's second home, her sanctuary; the one place in the world where her heart felt free.

She savored the snug fit of her riding gear–a second skin that carried the lingering essence of hay and fresh grass.

Each breath she took tethered her to the world she cherished the most.

Being alone amid nature, with no one watching, allowed her to be herself for a handful of moments which was both torturous and delightful.

The rhythmic symphony of hooves against cobblestone mingled with the gentle nickers of horses, enveloping Yaseerah in the tranquil cocoon only the stables could offer her.

She brushed her hand through Arzu's mane, her voice a soft murmur, as she brought a sugar cube close to Arzu's muzzle, "I brought you a treat."

Arzu's gentle whinny was like a melodious whisper as she nuzzled Yaseerah's palm, seeking the sugar cube with her velvety lips.

Yaseerah winced slightly, feeling the dry warmth of Arzu's mouth brush against the tender skin beneath her Band-Aid–causing it to lift slightly–but she paid no heed to the pain as she watched Arzu continue to enjoy the sugar cube.

When Arzu nestled her head into Yaseerah's chest, the vice of despair loosened its grip from her heart.

Yaseerah liked to think that despite the comings and goings of several horse riders like her, Arzu remembered her.

Was it foolish to desire to be special to a horse? Or was it just as foolish to seek that kind of significance from a person?

Teeth tugging on her bottom lip, Yaseerah pondered the reason why she had snuck out and come here today.

Her upcoming wedding to Fouad Farraj—a man chosen by her father—loomed over her like a dark cloud, a suffocating weight threatening to crush her spirit.

Most troubling was that she had never met her intended, even once in the two years since their engagement had been announced.

Confined by tradition, she found herself engaged in deep conversations with each of his siblings, yet the man who would shape her future still remained a stranger to her.

Lost in her thoughts, Yaseerah was unaware of the silent presence that entered the stable until a rich voice caressed the still air, startling her back into the present.

"A beautiful sight, isn't it?"

Her pulse quickened as she turned to face the source, her gaze immediately drawn to a figure standing at the threshold of the stable, also clad in his riding gear.

The afternoon sun's gentle touch painted him in a warm golden hue, casting an ethereal halo around him. His mesmerizing brown eyes sparkled with playfulness as his fingers caressed his steed's mane, radiating an easy grace and confidence that was impossible to ignore.

Yaseerah felt a sense of familiarity in his appearance–an odd sense of familiarity–despite knowing she had never seen him before. It'd be near impossible to forget such a face like his.

His strong jawline and brows triggered a recognition she couldn't place. This single glance left her wondering what impression he would leave on her heart, uncertain of her thoughts or feelings.