xxxv. deserve this

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE:DESERVE THIS

DESERVE THIS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

KIT WAS PRACTICALLY DRAGGING Frank's bulky teenage-boy body along with him by the time they arrived back on board the Argo II. They hadn't stopped running since they fled the Georgia Aquarium and all its horrors, even when they reached the ship and no sea creatures materialised to drown them. They'd separated from Percy and Hedge in their mission to find Leo, leaving Kit to bear the brunt of Frank's weight as he leaned against his arm and gasped for air like his lungs were fighting their way up his throat. Kit was concerned by the slick appearance of his skin, but not necessarily for the reason you'd think.

"If you're going to vomit," he said. "Give me some warning so I can jump outta the splash zone."

Frank managed a wheeze and a thumbs up. Kit warily yanked on his arm, prompting them down the stairs to their rooms. Thankfully, they found someone at last, but it wasn't Leo like Kit had hoped.

"Hey, you guys," Annabeth arched an eyebrow as she spotted them. She and Hazel were sitting on the twin bed in Annabeth's cabin, muttering to each other in soft, sombre voices. No doubt about that morning's breakfast showdown, but Kit had no time to waste. "What's...?"

"We'd love to stay and chat but we're looking for Leo," he cut her off, heaving Frank over to the nearest chair and shrugging off the hold he had on his arm.

"Why? Where's Percy?"

"No time," Frank exclaimed, clutching Hazel's outstretched hands as she hovered around him in a flurry of panic. "Take off! Take off!"

"What's happened to Percy?" Annabeth demanded once again, adding when she realised there was indeed a fourth person who'd left with them earlier, "And the goat?"

"They're on deck and they're fine," Kit said, because he knew Annabeth would ask. "That doesn't matter right now! We have to get going, we're being followed."

"Kate and Porky!" cried Frank, as if this would explain everything.

Annabeth shoved past Kit and took the stairs three at a time, Hazel and Kit hot on her heels. Frank groaned and stumbled out of his seat, somehow managing to drag himself up after them. They found Percy and Hedge right where Kit had left them. He glowered at the pitiful sight, kicking the toe of his boot against one of Hedge's bare hooves. Somehow, he'd managed to lose his shoes  on the way back, not that he'd noticed their absence. He was too busy lying on his back beside Percy, grinning up at the sky and muttering inchorent words under his breath.

"Hey," Kit kicked him again, then quickly jumped back when Hedge retaliated with a rather sharp kick for someone so out of it. "You're supposed to be finding Leo!"

He decided to look in the Mess Hall, trusting Annabeth and Hazel to force the exhausted trio back into the present. Honestly, Kit thought to himself, scoffing and shaking his head. You'd think they've never ran a few miles before. Kit had barely broken a sweat.