xxxii. six feet apart

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO:SIX FEET APART

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO:
SIX FEET APART

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

KIT'S HEAD FUCKING KILLED. Someone or something must've attempted to blow his brains out and it definitely wasn't in a good way. For a long moment, he laid wherever he'd ended up with his eyes clenched firmly shut. The slightest flicker of light on the other side of his eyelids had him writhing around in agony, cursing whatever asshole decided that whacking the back of his head was a good idea.

He bet it was Percy, that prick. It was slowly coming back to him now. The loss of control, the shouting, the violent lurch of his gut warring with feelings that weren't his own. The flashes of Jason lying on the ground, his chest soaked in blood...

Kit sat up with a start, hissing as the contents of his stomach threatened to spill past his lips. He held a hand to his mouth and leaned over, trying and failing to steady his breathing. He was back on the Argo II; from the looks of it, he was in his cabin, the curtains pulled across the window in a weak attempt to block out any light. There was someone sitting beside him who murmured his name in surprise as he sat up, but Kit couldn't bring himself to breathe let alone to focus on who it was. He had an inkling, for they had a tight grip on his free hand and they smelled like sour diesel, and that could only mean one person.

"Leo," he said.

"Hey, Christopher," Leo's voice was gentle but Kit's ears still rang from the force of it. Leo squeezed his hand. "How're you feeling?"

Kit hesitated for a second before drawing in a breath. "Like Blackjack played soccer with the back of my head."

Leo's lips quirked the slightest bit. "Close. Percy KO'd you."

"Of course he did," he would've rolled his eyes if he had the strength. Slowly, he let his head fall onto Leo's shoulder, sighing once the other boy rested his cheek against his hair. The pressure admittedly hurt like a bitch but for once Kit wanted comfort and he wasn't about to turn him away. "I don't remember anything. How'd I get back here?"

"I think I should let you see everyone else first," Leo said. "Piper can explain it better than I can. She's the only one who wasn't affected."

This time, Kit's sigh was one of relief. It was a selfish feeling, but it was nice to know that he really hadn't been acting on his own accord and that he wasn't alone. Percy and Jason were also possessed. He wasn't weak. He wasn't the villain. His mind was still his own.

"Actually, nevermind," he said, burying his face into Leo's neck. "I'd rather just stay here."

"I'd love to but we need to get moving," Leo chuckled. When Kit merely groaned and ignored him, he gently nudged him to sit up properly. "You had me worried, Kit. Don't do that again."

Kit mustered a smirk, even though his heart panged at the look on Leo's face. "Yes, boss. Won't happen again."

"Good. Now, come on," Leo stood up and held out his hand. "Don't worry. I'll catch you if you fall over."