xii. red right hand

CHAPTER TWELVE:RED RIGHT HAND

CHAPTER TWELVE:
RED RIGHT HAND

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE SECOND HE GOT close enough, Kit's hand latched onto the back of Leo's shirt and dragged him around to the other side of a rack of what looked to be strange hats. Leo frowned at him, obviously annoyed, but Kit couldn't bring himself to give a shit as he cast a wary glance in the direction of the Princess, whom Piper had cornered just out of hearing distance.

"Alright, Valdez, you need to listen up," Kit declared not a second later. They didn't have time to waste. "The Princess is charm-speaking you, and you and Jason are falling for it like the idiots you are."

At that, Leo frowned, looking ridiculously offended. "Hey, I'm not an idiot--"

"Look at you," Kit scoffed and gestured at the enchanted raccoon fur of the hat Leo was trying on. "Is this really what it takes to distract you? Some woman, who isn't even that pretty, bats her eyelashes and suddenly you're putty in her hands? Have some control over yourself, jesus--"

Suddenly, an amused smirk tugged at Leo's lips. Kit didn't like it one bit. "You're just jealous my attention isn't on you."

Kit didn't think it was possible to hate someone so much, but Leo always managed to prove him wrong. "You know what? Screw you and Jason. If you can't see the 'Princess' is charm-speaking you--"

"She isn't," Leo frowned in protest. "I'd know."

"Leo, you've been a demigod for, like, a day--"

"Jealous," Leo cut him off then, his voice stubborn like a toddler who hadn't gotten his way. "You're jealous."

"I'm not--"

"You want me so bad."

"You're insufferable."

"And yet you're attracted to me."

"I think I'd rather die."

On the other side of the rack, Kit heard Jason gasp then shout, "Hey, check it out."

Pinching the bridge of his nose in sheer frustration, Kit turned his back on Leo and stormed around to stand at Jason's side. He initially thought it would be something stupid, but was rather surprised to find Jason holding up a familiar purple T-shirt, one that looked just like the shirt Jason had been wearing the day he arrived at Camp Half-Blood. Only this one looked completely bludgeoned, like a tiger had torn it to shreds...